Filterless 110 goldfish stock tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfelton22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to filter and oxygenate a 110 Rubbermaid stock tank that has 3 medium comet goldfish with plants alone and no filter? I am trying to grow anacharis elodea in there (recently added a few stems and soon will add some hydrilla from a local pond we fish. My eventual goal is a heavily planted tank for the fish.

I agree with him. You should run heavy filtration. Maybe two emperor 400's and a supplementary sponge filter.

Since you have a stock tank it may be hard to run a HOB on it... You may want to invest in a canister filter (I prefer eheim). Or run a sponge filter (go on King of DIY Aquariums youtube channel and search for it) along with a pond filter. They are usually boxes with sponge and a power pump.

I just want to keep the fish alive temporarily until I can get an actual pond built. I measure ammonia and nitrites regularly and they continue to measure 0ppm. Nitrates are at 5ppm or less. They seem to really enjoy the space. I will do water changes when the parameters start to get out of whack but for now all is well. I would like to build a pond before fall. With a filter, waterfall, and all that. There are only 3 comets in there currently and eventually I will put the other two out there. So 5 max in the pond.

Back
Top Bottom