Finally getting fancy goldies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Talked to the girl at the lfs and she was trying very hard to get me to take home 2 big fancy racketball sized Orandas. ?she was really rooting for the fancy GF tank. My family on the other hand would rather see a SW.

How do you do at the decision making for the actual fish you get, with there only being able to get a handful.....for a huge tank?!?!!!

Trying to think this all through to help in the decision.

What are the most important things to can share about?

Talked to the girl at the lfs and she was trying very hard to get me to take home 2 big fancy racketball sized Orandas. ?she was really rooting for the fancy GF tank. My family on the other hand would rather see a SW.

How do you do at the decision making for the actual fish you get, with there only being able to get a handful.....for a huge tank?!?!!!

Trying to think this all through to help in the decision.

What are the most important things to can share about?

That would be a tough decision. Now that I've learned so much about keeping something as delicate as a nano reef tank all the way down to a mixed tropical planted tank which pretty much took care of itself (other than water changes), I simply love my new venture into fancies. They have so much personality, but then so do SW fish IME. I cringe at the thought of the expense of a sw setup in your new tank. Also, you'd still be stuck with only being able to get a handful of fish either way you go. Sorry...I'm absolutely no help at all. It's a good thing you are being patient and giving this plenty of thought.

That would be a tough decision. Now that I've learned so much about keeping something as delicate as a nano reef tank all the way down to a mixed tropical planted tank which pretty much took care of itself (other than water changes), I simply love my new venture into fancies. They have so much personality, but then so do SW fish IME. I cringe at the thought of the expense of a sw setup in your new tank. Also, you'd still be stuck with only being able to get a handful of fish either way you go. Sorry...I'm absolutely no help at all. It's a good thing you are being patient and giving this plenty of thought.

I agree about the 4-5 kinds of tanks to have too with the above posts. Funny too that it is also just a few fish whether or not it is a SW or GF tank, lol! But they aren't really cheap fish either way, lol.

At this rate it will be in my garage forever, lol!!!

So bummed out [emoji17]. I lost my yellow watonai two days ago. He didn't seem to be growing like the others. Aside from that, no other symptoms. RIP little dude. The tank won't be the same without you.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 48
Sad news :( Thinking of getting another?

Probably not for now. I knew that 6 fancies were quite the load for a 75g, and even though I planned to get another tank eventually for when they grew, it would be a while. For now I have five 3" babies, so even with big weekly water changes I'm still pushing it and I shouldn't add anymore. I don't think my losses (little Lulu and the watonai) are due to water quality though. I have so many meds on hand. I wish I knew if it was a parasite issue, I could start treatment. As it is, the other fish seem perfectly fine.

Both of my Oranda’s are floaty after eating now. First the white one the other day and now the black one. They seem to get over it overnight, but then as soon as they eat, it’s back. I feed the tiny Hikari goldfish pellets sparingly in the mornings, which I’ve stopped for now, and either frozen shrimp/bloodworms or repashy soilent green in the evenings. They get peas and greens weekly. If it’s bacterial, I’d like to get started on meds. Anyone have suggestions on the type of med to use? Should I wait and fast the fish first? Thinking back, my watonia swam a little weird a couple of times, but seemed to get over it. I’m worried [emoji45]

Last edited:
There is no surface feeding, correct? I’m assuming that the pellets sink.
Have you tried soaking food prior to feeding? Otherwise, I have no clue. Good luck!

I guess I am not sure about the food stuff I have some Hikari Saki something written in Japanese mostly, for GF from the last CAS auction They were a steal deal.

My thought would be that the possibility of too much protein. If you stop the extra proteins for a couple weeks and (don't know about the
Rapashy S. green). \

I would imagine Hikari GF food would NOT be too much protein, since they should know how to feed the Champion Koi they have shown off in the past. But maybe the GF diet was set up to feed some veggie food in addition to it. ???

I wouldn't be the one to ask about the meds, I am still learning about that all. So sorry to hear that are not feeling in tip top shape.

There is no surface feeding, correct? I’m assuming that the pellets sink.
Have you tried soaking food prior to feeding? Otherwise, I have no clue. Good luck!

Thanks. No, no surface feeding at all. The more I read, the more it seems that pellets are bad news for certain goldfish. I’m going to fast pellets for the foreseeable future and feed a diet of greens and frozen foods, along with adding epsom salt to the tank. Hopefully this will get them through this.
I’m also considering treating with metro. I’ll need to research that more though. I’ll post results. Seems so many folks have floaty Oranda’s!

Good luck with the treatment/results with the orandas. Wish I could be of help but goldfish aren't my thing.

I guess I am not sure about the food stuff I have some Hikari Saki something written in Japanese mostly, for GF from the last CAS auction They were a steal deal.

My thought would be that the possibility of too much protein. If you stop the extra proteins for a couple weeks and (don't know about the
Rapashy S. green). \

I would imagine Hikari GF food would NOT be too much protein, since they should know how to feed the Champion Koi they have shown off in the past. But maybe the GF diet was set up to feed some veggie food in addition to it. ???

I wouldn't be the one to ask about the meds, I am still learning about that all. So sorry to hear that are not feeling in tip top shape.

Thanks for responding. When you mentioned protein, I decided to do some extra reading on the bag of Saki-Hakari fancy goldfish food I’ve been feeding. Crude protein is at 45%. It also says, when I removed the shipping sticker, that it is most effective when fed regularly, without interruption, as a daily diet. Basically it says that it contains a transitory bacteria that moves quickly out of the intestines once feeding stops. Then, it says that intermittent feeding, or feeding with other diets will not allow the Hikari-Germ to flourish and remain active in the digestive track. So...does that mean that we shouldn’t feed our fish anything else? Surely not?
I agree with you, these guys know their stuff when it comes to their field, but there’s no mention of supplementing. Actually quite the opposite. Ugh.

Update...the oranda’s seem to be improving after 6 days on metro medicated flakes. No more floaty’s, so I’m hoping we’re out of the woods.
On another note, I found these ryukin cuties at the pet shop the other day. They’re in qt waiting to go into my new 30g build that’s going in my office. They are so active I couldn’t get a good pic. The smallest one is a bit underweight and I just noticed an ich spot on both of them unfortunately. I just finished a round of general cure because the little one looked like it had parasites. Now I don’t know how long I should wait to treat the ich. Seems like it doesn’t matter how long I spend checking fish out before I buy them from a pet shop, I always find something going on with them when I get them home and really look at them under a good light. Guess that’s how it goes when you don’t buy from a reliable source. Any advice on how long I should wait to treat for ich?IMG_0571.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom