Finally getting fancy goldies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
75g. I broke up with my ex a few years ago and moved in with friends, so the tank has been sitting in storage. We've been apartment hunting but have a cat so it's a little difficult :/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's the size I plan to get next, I already have a stand for one. Good luck finding a spot. Having pets narrows down options for sure.

Ok, it's been over 2 weeks now since nitrites showed up. Nitrites and nitrates are through the roof. Patiently waiting...meanwhile excited about being off work until Jan. 3rd!! I'm getting my lfs to order goldies for me. Can't wait! Surely my cycle will be finished by the weekend.

I tested this morning and FINALLY!!!..0 nitrites!!:dance:
Now I'm going to gradually lower the temp.

Yay!!!

So adorable!!! And wiggly. Couldn't get a good pic

Attachments

• IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
That's awesome!

Beautiful fish! Now you are making me want a fancy GF tank again. Just talked myself out of it earlier this year! Saw a 30G tank on CL with 5 substantially sized fancies a couple weeks ago and started wanting to save them. Just talked myself down... Now this adorable Goldie!

What is the next one (GF) going to be?

Beautiful fish! Now you are making me want a fancy GF tank again. Just talked myself out of it earlier this year! Saw a 30G tank on CL with 5 substantially sized fancies a couple weeks ago and started wanting to save them. Just talked myself down... Now this adorable Goldie!

What is the next one (GF) going to be?

I found out that Petsmart was getting a fish order today so I asked if I could check out the incoming goldfish and they said I could. So I picked out a gorgeous oranda and was able to get it before it hit their water. I also bought another new arrival, the cutest little black moor. I couldn't see him all that well in the shipping bag but he looked fine from what we could tell. Got him home, acclimated him and put him in the tank, and on closer look the poor guy has been beaten up pretty bad, has a fungus, or both. I immediately removed him and set up a hospital tank. Now I'm panicking. And furious. Surely to God the supplier hasn't sent a shipment of fish that are diseased. I know it can happen, but still. Hopefully I got him out of the tank in time and I haven't contaminated my others. Sorry for the long post, just wondered if anyone has experienced anything like this. The fish seems fine, he just has white places on him and one of his fins. I can't get a good enough look at him yet. I have metronidazole on hand. I also have some medicated flakes. I'm going to try everything to help this little guy, and Petsmart will be hearing from me in the morning. Not that it will make any difference...

Their supplier is Segrest Farms.

Last edited:
Beautiful fish! Now you are making me want a fancy GF tank again. Just talked myself out of it earlier this year! Saw a 30G tank on CL with 5 substantially sized fancies a couple weeks ago and started wanting to save them. Just talked myself down...

Wow, so sad. The only reason I went ahead and got the oranda and the moor yesterday is because I'm definitely getting a 75 in the near future. 4 babies should be fine in a 40b for a while.

Poor guy. I hope you're able to help him get through this.

Me too. I'm not sure how to begin treatment though. One thing I do know is that he needs super clean water, but I'm not sure if I need to add anything at this point. I need to dig out my box of fish stuff and see what I have that would help with scrapes. I hope that's all he has. It's definitely not ich.

That is a hard experience. Yes, it happens pretty frequently. I got 3 Von Rio Tetras which I had wanted for years (that is all they had, I intended to get more when they came in) and they seemed fine at the store and then I got Columnaris from not using a QT because "they look fine" An killed off a bunch of my fish.

The stress of the trip can trigger illness. Ammonia build up would increase the ill effects of the trip.

So sorry to hear he is not well. The ill fish puts a damper on the joy and excitement of the new addition. I would return him and let them try and heal him. It is expensive to treat and that you purchased a fish, it should have been healthy because that is what you paid for. It is a toss up about the emotional attachment of trying to do good by him. Obviously it is up to you and I have dont the same thing sometimes with good outcome and sometimes sad.

Yeah, my absolute worst nightmare is that this fish came in with columnaris. I don't see how the supplier wouldn't know they had that going on at the warehouse. It occurred to me that maybe they don't care, because they can sell anything to the big box stores and get away with it because of the sheer volume they send. Petsmart nukes all the new arrivals with some sort of blanket treatment. Obviously many of them pull through even if they are diseased. He was in my main tank for about 5 minutes before I noticed the white places on him. He is eating in the hospital tank and he seems fine. Time will tell.
Sorry for your issue with columnaris. How did you get rid of it? I've heard you pretty much have to break down everything and start over.

It was pretty much time. There are several variants one is a slow killer hits everything kills some and then it seems every few days some more die. Which was the one I had. There is a moderately fast killer. One which is resistent to meds I read about which is prevalent in the fish trade in areas where heavy medicating is done just for good measure. The other is like hits the tank and all die in a mater of a few days!

It was nearly 4 years ago. They looked okay when I got them into the tank but then had started hiding and developing cottony to greyish patches. So many fish died. I think I finally treated with Maracyn 2. Then I had a chemically induced PH crash the next year and that pretty much did the ole tank in. It stayed like a Mars scape for quite awhile. But then recovered & back in business. Always using a QT - you can even use a 5G bucket QT or an opaque tote type set up.

Treating with meds very often has secondary damaging effects like killing BB or polluting the tank with copper residue which can damage using as a SW tank or keeping/breeding snails and shrimp. So better to toss out a $5. plastic tub or bucket than waste a whole tank set up. Before that happened to me, I never had needed to QT!.

As for the fish companys, they probably don't know the fish is ill, or in the catching to transport, the fishes resistance goes down. I understand that C. and other illness, are or can be present in tanks just waiting for an weak/ill fish to play host to an outbreak.

Good to know, thanks for your response. I have the fish in a 3 gallon bowl with a little heater that keeps the tank at 70F and an air stone. Thing is, the glass is somewhat blurry and I can't get a clear view on the white places on him. I have been monitoring his poop and I haven't seen the tell-tale signs of disease like white stringy poop. He has normal poop and he is eating. He may just be a little scraped up. I'm so torn as to what to do about returning or keeping him. It's no bother to me to keep in the hospital tank and monitor him.

He was in a bag with about 8 others. Not a big bag either. From what I understand the supplier adds something that neutralizes ammonia in the bags during shipping. Regardless though, there were at least 9 baby moors in a small shipping bag. They all gathered in the corner several times, so the spots could be injuries. I've had so many Christmas plans with family that
I haven't had a chance to check out my stash of remedies. I'm going to see if I have something that could help with healing before I add the stronger meds. This fish is acting just fine. He's getting 100% water changes daily, so that alone will help with superficial injuries.

Back
Top Bottom