Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe look into the medicated flake food for internal parasites. If you can't find it locally Peabody's Paradise has a few kinds. I think would be better than the liquid you soak food in. My fish have eaten the food right up. For about a year or so now I have started out the fish after one nor 2 normal feedings adding the medicated in for a couple then feed for 3 days only medicated then a day of regular foods then another couple days of the worming food again. Also i would treat the whole thank wit Epsom salts for 2-3 weeks.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Maybe look into the medicated flake food for internal parasites. If you can't find it locally Peabody's Paradise has a few kinds. I think would be better than the liquid you soak food in. My fish have eaten the food right up. For about a year or so now I have started out the fish after one nor 2 normal feedings adding the medicated in for a couple then feed for 3 days only medicated then a day of regular foods then another couple days of the worming food again. Also i would treat the whole thank wit Epsom salts for 2-3 weeks.
I have medicated flakes, but I cannot find an expiration date anywhere on the package. I've had them for a few months, so I'm not sure if they are still effective. To be safe I'll order more.
What would be the right epsom salt dose for a 40g?

Old 12-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Finally getting fancy goldies!!

Does he look bloated?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3578.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	292552[ATTACH]292553
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3577.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	292553  
Old 12-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2 View Post
I have medicated flakes, but I cannot find an expiration date anywhere on the package. I've had them for a few months, so I'm not sure if they are still effective. To be safe I'll order more.
What would be the right epsom salt dose for a 40g?
As long as they have been dry and didn't get stuck together or clumpy, evidence of too much moisture, you should be alright to use them, if the package could be many years old then time for new ones. The antibiotic effect reduces a small amount, more and more so over the expiration, over time, but if kept dry it retains a useful amount for a few years. If in sunlight or moisture then not good. Older by a year or 2 probably still useful enough to help but fresh ones you know it is stronger potency. So my thinking is 75-85% effacy is better than 0.

Also check in the lfs for the expiration too, as just because you just bought them doesn't make them fresh (of course being un opened they would be fresh-er ).

As for the Epsom salt. You might start with the 1 tsp per gallon if you'd like to. I would just start with the 1 Tablespoon per gallon if I were doing it for my fish.

1 tsp p/g so 40 tsp plus the amount you have in your filters, calculated into a cup measurement would be about .85 - .90 Cup of Epsom. (thank you calculating conversion tables).

1TBL p/g is 40 tbl is 2.5 Cups

So how I do it is I dissolve the ES into very hot water in the pitcher or bucket.

When all but a few little crystals remain, its okay of they DO all dissolve, I add cool water so I can get the concentrate to tank/room temp.

TREAT with dechlorinator/conditioner.

Then I add that to a pitcher (empty Gallon water jug works great because it has a top) or other container to add to your pwc or tank water.

At first I do a pwc so I don't have to worry about that for a little bit.

Add the concentate for the whole tank you just mixed in increments, say 5 additions of liquid concentrate over the course of 24 hours.

~~~~~
Then in the future additions of the concentrate when you make up a new batch - I try and do a concentrate mix ahead of time so I know I need to add 2 cups of concentrate per 50% pwc or what ever quantity you want to do. You can add Sharpie lines to the jug/pitcher (water jug/dollar store pitchers) so you only have to do the measuring one time. (In 1 cup or 2 cup increments or 1/4 of jug what ever works for you) It makes the job of adding it so much more convenient to me.

Add the concentrate at the beginning of adding the water when you add the conditioner. I am using bucket pwc method of adding water to tank so that is how do it. I would add the concentrate after adding water if you use a Python type method.

Then keep that ratio for 2-3 weeks treatment period.

If all seems better then just reduce the ratio down to a tsp p/g for a couple more weeks and then as you do pwc, just do not add it back in and after a few changes you will be back to just tap water pwc.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here is a video of Champion fish, for you to compare to.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
As long as they have been dry and didn't get stuck together or clumpy, evidence of too much moisture, you should be alright to use them, if the package could be many years old then time for new ones. The antibiotic effect reduces a small amount, more and more so over the expiration, over time, but if kept dry it retains a useful amount for a few years. If in sunlight or moisture then not good. Older by a year or 2 probably still useful enough to help but fresh ones you know it is stronger potency. So my thinking is 75-85% effacy is better than 0.

Also check in the lfs for the expiration too, as just because you just bought them doesn't make them fresh (of course being un opened they would be fresh-er ).

As for the Epsom salt. You might start with the 1 tsp per gallon if you'd like to. I would just start with the 1 Tablespoon per gallon if I were doing it for my fish.

1 tsp p/g so 40 tsp plus the amount you have in your filters, calculated into a cup measurement would be about .85 - .90 Cup of Epsom. (thank you calculating conversion tables).

1TBL p/g is 40 tbl is 2.5 Cups

So how I do it is I dissolve the ES into very hot water in the pitcher or bucket.

When all but a few little crystals remain, its okay of they DO all dissolve, I add cool water so I can get the concentrate to tank/room temp.

TREAT with dechlorinator/conditioner.

Then I add that to a pitcher (empty Gallon water jug works great because it has a top) or other container to add to your pwc or tank water.

At first I do a pwc so I don't have to worry about that for a little bit.

Add the concentate for the whole tank you just mixed in increments, say 5 additions of liquid concentrate over the course of 24 hours.

~~~~~
Then in the future additions of the concentrate when you make up a new batch - I try and do a concentrate mix ahead of time so I know I need to add 2 cups of concentrate per 50% pwc or what ever quantity you want to do. You can add Sharpie lines to the jug/pitcher (water jug/dollar store pitchers) so you only have to do the measuring one time. (In 1 cup or 2 cup increments or 1/4 of jug what ever works for you) It makes the job of adding it so much more convenient to me.

Add the concentrate at the beginning of adding the water when you add the conditioner. I am using bucket pwc method of adding water to tank so that is how do it. I would add the concentrate after adding water if you use a Python type method.

Then keep that ratio for 2-3 weeks treatment period.

If all seems better then just reduce the ratio down to a tsp p/g for a couple more weeks and then as you do pwc, just do not add it back in and after a few changes you will be back to just tap water pwc.
Fantastic!! Thank you!! I haven't been able to find information anywhere near as detailed. This will be my next course of action. Medicated flakes are ordered and on the way. This fish is going to pull through!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

So happy to report that he/she is doing just fine! Tonight she had her first normal, food colored poop. She is eating and acting like a normal goldfish again. I was worried for several days. She'd stopped eating and was bottom sitting. I used the epsom salt, general cure and prazipro, along with placing her in a qt tank for treatment and warming up the water to 74. I'd read something about reabsorbed eggs? I was told in another forum that was a possibility because one day she excreted something very odd looking that looked like a string of eggs. I have no idea, but I do know she's feeling better and on the mend. I'm keeping her in the qt tank for a while to make sure, but I super happy that she's getting better. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is a relief to hear! So glad.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

So excited!! I just ordered the most beautiful bright yellow goldfish baby from Rain Garden in Hawaii. He'll be here Thursday.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yup, you're hooked!!! Can't wait to see the little jewel!

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
die, fancy, fin, gold, goldie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com