Finally getting fancy goldies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been wanting to keep fancy goldfish for a really long time. After a couple of disasters in my classroom with them a few years ago I put it off, but I'm putting the tank together this weekend. It's a 40b, so I think I could comfortably have 2. I have spent quite a bit of time researching the best substrate, but there seems to be a 50/50 split on opinions. I want to do this right the first time, so any experienced goldfish keepers please chime in. I was considering a sand base, and then an arrangement of various sized stones. I do plan on having live plants.
Another question...I currently have 2 Eheim 2217's that I plan on running on this tank. These filters were recently on a tropical tank that has been established for several years. Will the nitrifying bacteria slowly convert and adjust to colder temps? I'm concerned about cycling this tank properly.
Any advice appreciated.

I'm going to offer lots of various greens, so it will be quite a bit of trial and error as to plants that will work. I'm not too concerned with that. I mainly want to know if pool filter sand will work. I only plan on a shallow base of sand but I don't want anything that can cause problems because I know they are sifters.

I decided to do a fishless cycle, so I dosed the tank up to 4 ppm this morning. I do have some residual bacteria in my filters so I'm hoping this won't take as long as starting from scratch. I've heated the tank up to 80F to get the process moving along. Once the tank is cycled, I plan to gradually reduce the temp to room temp, which is around 72F. I'm assuming the nitrifying bacteria will adjust.
I'm so excited about getting my goldfish! I'll be working on finding a good breeder somewhere in NC during the next few weeks while I'm waiting on my tank to be ready. I've added some plants already so they can get a chance to root. So far I've planted an amazon sword, a few green crypts, Anacharis, and some bulbs just for fun. Since my substrate is black sand, I added some root tabs and I'm dosing a little Excel. Could the root tabs be an issue for goldfish? They will eventually dissolve in the sand, but I wonder if that could be harmful since they are sifters.
Any thoughts and opinions welcome! :)

I also added Java Fern and a few Anubias. From what I read goldfish will feed on Anacharis.

Bury the root tabs as deep as possible. Goldfish will root through the sand. The plants' roots will find the ferts.
Hope you find a good breeder.

Bury the root tabs as deep as possible. Goldfish will root through the sand. The plants' roots will find the ferts.
Hope you find a good breeder.

Thanks, me too. I'm going to talk to my friend that owns a lfs and see if she knows a reliable supplier. She mainly deals in sw and corals, but surely she can find a breeder.

Tested tonight and nitrate is 5ppm, ammonia is 2ppm, a bit lower than yesterday. Still no nitrites, but I wasn't really expecting to see any yet. Ph is a steady 7.6ish, so things are moving along nicely!

Ammonia is being converted everyday but nitrites are lingering. They are so high that I don't know if I need to wait it out or do a large pwc to help to things along. Think I'll wait since my ph hasn't changed. I stopped by the fish section at Walmart yesterday and saw the cutest little fantails. One in particular stood out and I had to seriously fight the urge to impulse buy. It occurred to me that those fish were probably diseased, but I have meds on hand. Would it be stupid to get fish from there? I hadn't considered it before, but when I think of what will eventually happen to them, it makes me want to rescue the little guys.
I should add that my nitrites have been 5ppm+ for at least 5 days now.

Last edited:
Broke down and did a 90% water change tonight. Nitrites are still off the charts. Still waiting.
Saw the same baby fantail I wanted last time I went to Walmart and I decided to get her/him. She's in a qt tank and will be for a while. She's eating and being very sociable. She is so adorable. No regrets at all.

Lol sometimes you just can't help it

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Toad! I was starting to hear my echo in here lol. You're right, I'd convinced myself that if that fish was still there it was a sign that I should get it!
This cycle is driving me crazy

I can't wait to be able to set up my big tank again because I really want goldies too. I was at a petco and found the perfect little black moor but currently only have a 30g that's already stocked. I literally sat in my car and talked myself into driving away and not trying to 'figure it out later' lol, so I feel you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol thanks to my impulsiveness I get to do daily water changes in my uncycled qt tank while I'm waiting on the other tank to get ready.
What size is your big tank?

Back
Top Bottom