Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Finally getting fancy goldies!!

I've been wanting to keep fancy goldfish for a really long time. After a couple of disasters in my classroom with them a few years ago I put it off, but I'm putting the tank together this weekend. It's a 40b, so I think I could comfortably have 2. I have spent quite a bit of time researching the best substrate, but there seems to be a 50/50 split on opinions. I want to do this right the first time, so any experienced goldfish keepers please chime in. I was considering a sand base, and then an arrangement of various sized stones. I do plan on having live plants.
Another question...I currently have 2 Eheim 2217's that I plan on running on this tank. These filters were recently on a tropical tank that has been established for several years. Will the nitrifying bacteria slowly convert and adjust to colder temps? I'm concerned about cycling this tank properly.
Any advice appreciated.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which plants are you thinking? My understanding is that vegetarians like goldfish eat just about anything green.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anubias and Java Ferns may work. Esp if you also feed Green Peas, and Zucchini.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Finally getting fancy goldies!!

I'm going to offer lots of various greens, so it will be quite a bit of trial and error as to plants that will work. I'm not too concerned with that. I mainly want to know if pool filter sand will work. I only plan on a shallow base of sand but I don't want anything that can cause problems because I know they are sifters.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sand should be fine.
SolidGold on YouTube has a bunch of Fancy GF vids. She breeds them
Old 11-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Sand should be fine.
SolidGold on YouTube has a bunch of Fancy GF vids. She breeds them
Thanks! Lots of info. Her fish are amazing!
Old 11-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I decided to do a fishless cycle, so I dosed the tank up to 4 ppm this morning. I do have some residual bacteria in my filters so I'm hoping this won't take as long as starting from scratch. I've heated the tank up to 80F to get the process moving along. Once the tank is cycled, I plan to gradually reduce the temp to room temp, which is around 72F. I'm assuming the nitrifying bacteria will adjust.
I'm so excited about getting my goldfish! I'll be working on finding a good breeder somewhere in NC during the next few weeks while I'm waiting on my tank to be ready. I've added some plants already so they can get a chance to root. So far I've planted an amazon sword, a few green crypts, Anacharis, and some bulbs just for fun. Since my substrate is black sand, I added some root tabs and I'm dosing a little Excel. Could the root tabs be an issue for goldfish? They will eventually dissolve in the sand, but I wonder if that could be harmful since they are sifters.
Any thoughts and opinions welcome!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I also added Java Fern and a few Anubias. From what I read goldfish will feed on Anacharis.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2 View Post
I also added Java Fern and a few Anubias. From what I read goldfish will feed on Anacharis.

Yes it's a nice treat for them
Old 11-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Bury the root tabs as deep as possible. Goldfish will root through the sand. The plants' roots will find the ferts.
Hope you find a good breeder.

Tags
die, fancy, fin, gold, goldie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com