Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First Koi pond

So take number 2,

I did something earlier that caused it to delete the original post. I think it was photo related

So i went from no experience to i am working on a 2 koi ponds for my wife. and 3 aquariums

1 110g small pond for a staging area

1 1500g plus to come in the future

Due to bioload i am really struggling trying to sort out the filter system for the 110g pond,

The koi are currently in a 29g aquarium, it has a aquapapa corner filter attached to 20g air pump, and a penguin 200b standard filter, even with this the tank stays pretty cloudy, its been several weeks and we did start with bio additive etc, so i dont feel that bacteria is the problem, but i could be wrong.

There are 4 koi approximately 5 inchs currently that will be in the 110g pond till the larger is finished, from what ive read playing it safe and doing 5x what you think you need is a good way to handle with Koi, but i am having trouble locating what would work, most things i see are for 1000g ponds and up. I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180724_132025.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	309801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_164434.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	309802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180710_194201.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	309803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180716_185020.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	309804  

Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzle240 View Post
So take number 2,

I did something earlier that caused it to delete the original post. I think it was photo related

So i went from no experience to i am working on a 2 koi ponds for my wife. and 3 aquariums

1 110g small pond for a staging area

1 1500g plus to come in the future

Due to bioload i am really struggling trying to sort out the filter system for the 110g pond,

The koi are currently in a 29g aquarium, it has a aquapapa corner filter attached to 20g air pump, and a penguin 200b standard filter, even with this the tank stays pretty cloudy, its been several weeks and we did start with bio additive etc, so i dont feel that bacteria is the problem, but i could be wrong.

There are 4 koi approximately 5 inchs currently that will be in the 110g pond till the larger is finished, from what ive read playing it safe and doing 5x what you think you need is a good way to handle with Koi, but i am having trouble locating what would work, most things i see are for 1000g ponds and up. I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some advice.
Are you into dig projects? I could show you a filtering setup I will be using on my 1300g pond. It was cheap and easy to build.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
Are you into dig projects? I could show you a filtering setup I will be using on my 1300g pond. It was cheap and easy to build.
Digging is no problem im actually terracing the entire side of the yard where the pond is. We live in the mountains so slopped yards always require work
Old 07-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzle240 View Post
Digging is no problem im actually terracing the entire side of the yard where the pond is. We live in the mountains so slopped yards always require work

lol im sorry i meant to say diy not dig. here is my setup

2000g per hour pump to a ball valve so you can close off the system or control the flow rate. then on to the inlet pipe in picture 2. its a 1 inch reducer that expands to a 2 1/2". the long pipe in picture one has holes drilled in it to spray water onto your filtering media. there will be lava rocks in the very bottom, green scotchbrite scrub pads for a bit of filter and more area for BB, on top of that fine filtering material like whats used in air condition filters and then on top of that a little less fine filtering material to catch the really big stuff like leaves,grass and all that. i will also be running a diy prefilter on the pump so most large stuff isnt even going to make it into the filter anyways. the outlet pipe is 3" pipe(you want your out larger than your in so your filter doesnt overflow) that has a T in it. the T then has pipe on the bottom reaching all the way to the bottom of the filter. drill holes in the very bottom of the bottom pipe like in picture 4 to force water down through the filter material and the BB material then up and out the outlet pipe. and thats it. i am using a 27g plastic tote but for your lower volume you could probably use something even smaller. ive seen people use the big blue plastic barrels, totes, trash cans. i just looked it up and you can get a 400 gph pump off ebay for $24. sorry i would link it but i dont think your allowed to link things like that on here. after everything is said and done ive paid $60 for this setup. alot of great videos on youtube showing how to build a variety of these diy filter systems.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
lol im sorry i meant to say diy not dig. here is my setup

2000g per hour pump to a ball valve so you can close off the system or control the flow rate. then on to the inlet pipe in picture 2. its a 1 inch reducer that expands to a 2 1/2". the long pipe in picture one has holes drilled in it to spray water onto your filtering media. there will be lava rocks in the very bottom, green scotchbrite scrub pads for a bit of filter and more area for BB, on top of that fine filtering material like whats used in air condition filters and then on top of that a little less fine filtering material to catch the really big stuff like leaves,grass and all that. i will also be running a diy prefilter on the pump so most large stuff isnt even going to make it into the filter anyways. the outlet pipe is 3" pipe(you want your out larger than your in so your filter doesnt overflow) that has a T in it. the T then has pipe on the bottom reaching all the way to the bottom of the filter. drill holes in the very bottom of the bottom pipe like in picture 4 to force water down through the filter material and the BB material then up and out the outlet pipe. and thats it. i am using a 27g plastic tote but for your lower volume you could probably use something even smaller. ive seen people use the big blue plastic barrels, totes, trash cans. i just looked it up and you can get a 400 gph pump off ebay for $24. sorry i would link it but i dont think your allowed to link things like that on here. after everything is said and done ive paid $60 for this setup. alot of great videos on youtube showing how to build a variety of these diy filter systems.
Thanks for this, yeah that looks like it would work much better for the larger pond, probably a bit overkill for the 110g im assuming, ill keep that in mind ive also been contemplating doing a bog filter for the larger pond. Would something like that scale down to the smaller one?
Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, filtering for Koi should be 10 times the gallons per hour as a min. For the aquarium and pond you can get a Fluval Aquaclear 110 rated for around ~400 gallons per hour, and that is too much waste for that small tank even a kid pool or something larger for now rather than the aquarium. 4 5" Koi Should be in around 80g of water filtering 800 gallons per hour with cycled filter/ media.

Liquid test kit to monitor water quality. The bottle bacteria just helps, doesn't automatically cycle a tank. That's why it's cloudy, likely from waste and possibly in addition with a bacteria bloom.

Small tank should be 100% water change every day.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Hi, filtering for Koi should be 10 times the gallons per hour as a min. For the aquarium and pond you can get a Fluval Aquaclear 110 rated for around ~400 gallons per hour, and that is too much waste for that small tank even a kid pool or something larger for now rather than the aquarium. 4 5" Koi Should be in around 80g of water filtering 800 gallons per hour with cycled filter/ media.

Liquid test kit to monitor water quality. The bottle bacteria just helps, doesn't automatically cycle a tank. That's why it's cloudy, likely from waste and possibly in addition with a bacteria bloom.

Small tank should be 100% water change every day.
Thanks Autumn, just as a verification, Should the pump move the water 10 times gallons, or should it be a filter designed for 10 times gallons.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Figuring a minimum of what the number of fish you have need in gallons / mainly for aquariums, small ponds similar to a tank size.

Big ponds are different because you have so much more water to dilute the waste and often plants to use it up.

You want to be able to turn the number of gallons over per hour times 10

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unless I'm missing something......why aren't you using a couple large HOB's on your black 110g trough and keeping your fish in that? Also....you should purchase a water test kit to monitor things as you go.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Unless I'm missing something......why aren't you using a couple large HOB's on your black 110g trough and keeping your fish in that? Also....you should purchase a water test kit to monitor things as you go.
I thought of this, wasn't sure on the viability since they will be exposed outdoors. Water kit is definitely high priority for pay day as i got our tap water yesterday and the results came back pretty bad,

water going in (before the chlorine remover)

PH 8.5
Chlorine 2.0
Nitrates 1.5
Lots of particulate like a 39 is how it registered

so family members have always used Marineland filters, other then looking weird would 3 penguin 350b's sound right to to you?

Tags
koi, pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com