First time stocking a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuckles_96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

This coming summer is going to be my first summer with fish in the pond and I just have a few questions.

First, what month should I wait until to put them outside? I live in central Alberta so I definitely don't get as warm of a spring as a lot of the mid to southern States. I don't want to put them in too early, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to keep them out for as long as possible.

Second, is there a size that I should wait for them to reach before putting them out there? My average fish size is 3-4" right now, with a couple that are bigger (One beautiful 10" comet too! :) )

Third, I am planning on wintering over the fish outside (the pond will be able to accommodate fish in the winter), but should I bring them inside for their first winter? I've heard that younger fish don't do as well over the winter as fish that are a couple years old.

Any info that I can get is greatly appreciated! :)

As soon as the water gets 50-60 degrees I would add them.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Are these all goldfish?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Okay thanks for the reply :)

It's 3 comets, 2 sarasa comets, a shubunkin, and 2 butterfly koi. My size estimates are a little on the low side just to be safe.

We have a fairly large pond (6,500g) with a max depth of about 4 1/2 ft. We live near Omaha, NE, USA, so probably don't get quite as cold of winters as you, but our pond freezes to about 1' thick in winter. We stop feeding when water temps get below 50, and we also put a floating stock tank heater in the deep end of the pond. It will keep an area a couple feet in diameter clear of ice so that gasses can escape.

We have a fairly large pond (6,500g) with a max depth of about 4 1/2 ft. We live near Omaha, NE, USA, so probably don't get quite as cold of winters as you, but our pond freezes to about 1' thick in winter. We stop feeding when water temps get below 50, and we also put a floating stock tank heater in the deep end of the pond. It will keep an area a couple feet in diameter clear of ice so that gasses can escape.

The first time you put the fish in the pond how big were they? And did you winter them the first time around or did you wait until their 2nd winter to leave them in the pond?

We add fish periodically, but always winter them in the pond. Takes a heck of a big tank to bring 18" fish inside for the winter. The only time we had trouble was a few years ago we had a very windy winter. A lot of corn husks blew in the pond and sank (due to negligence on our part), then the pond froze over before we got them cleaned out. The gasses from this rotting vegetation killed a few of our smaller fish by spring. But, if you keep your pond skimmed better than we did, there shouldn't be a problem if your pond is deep enough. Remember, koi are just fancy carp. Carp live throughout most of the world, including Canada, and they survive their native winters just fine.

We add fish periodically, but always winter them in the pond. Takes a heck of a big tank to bring 18" fish inside for the winter. The only time we had trouble was a few years ago we had a very windy winter. A lot of corn husks blew in the pond and sank (due to negligence on our part), then the pond froze over before we got them cleaned out. The gasses from this rotting vegetation killed a few of our smaller fish by spring. But, if you keep your pond skimmed better than we did, there shouldn't be a problem if your pond is deep enough. Remember, koi are just fancy carp. Carp live throughout most of the world, including Canada, and they survive their native winters just fine.

Okay thanks a lot. I often see these little fish as delicate little creatures and forget that they're designed to survive outside. Will even the little 3" ones be okay to winter over?

They should be. But if you add 3" koi in spring, they'll be 6" by autumn. Koi are fast growing fish. Most fish store koi, and garden store koi sold around here are usually 4-5" already.

My goldies wintered their first year no problem from fingerlings in the spring. They were in a 70 gallon tub with a deicer pump, so as long as there's a hole in the ice and liquid water. Stop feeding at 50 degrees. I waited until it got to 60 to start feeding this year.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My goldies wintered their first year no problem from fingerlings in the spring. They were in a 70 gallon tub with a deicer pump, so as long as there's a hole in the ice and liquid water. Stop feeding at 50 degrees. I waited until it got to 60 to start feeding this year.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay good to know :)

Back
Top Bottom