Flashing and red dots... photo attached

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msoceancrosser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,*

Im hoping to find out whats going on with my fish. He is a 1 yr old yellow watonai goldfish from Raingarden. I got him 3 mos ago. I am new at goldfish.

He has been displaying OCCASIONAL flashing. Only seen it a few times in the last month. He acts healthy and happy otherwise.*

He has a line of red dots on the side of his body. Only the right side. Which seems to have shown up only just in the last day or so. Combined with the red dot he also has a sore. A scale is missing. (I added pictures).*

Other health issues is that I think he has some digestive issues and his belly can get really expanded looking after eating and i have seen the occasional white stringy see through poops. Which I think from from Ive researched has to do with being constipated?*

Water perimeters:

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate (between 0 and 10/20 depending on waterchanges), PH 6-7, temp 68.5°.*

70 gallon stocktank, 2 fluval canister filter, 1overhead aquaponics filter, 1 spongefilter

3 goldfish (shubunkin, wakin & watonai) all between 4-7" long. I do biweekly waterchanges to keep the nitrate under 10ppm. Waterchanges are the japanese way. Remove fish. Drain completely, add same temp water from tap with Prime. Let sit 30 min. Add fish back in.*

And I am really not that worried since he seems totally fine. However if this is something like early signs of something worse than Id like to know now ans take action.*

Attachments

• 20171217_195950.jpg
    20171217_195950.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 66
  • 20171217_195945.jpg
    20171217_195945.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 64
The pictured red dots on the scales are too uniform to be a parasite and look to be more of a scrape injury. Likely no worries.

The lateral line on a fish is good to know about.

But..

Why is there flashing? That question is not answered.

Sometimes it is due to bad water quality and frequently parasites.

I ordered a gorgeous watonai from RainGarden. He seemed fine for a couple of months, but then I found him dead after returning home from a short vacation. Never saw flashing, but I noticed him swim a little off on occasion. It was so barely noticeable that I didn’t treat. I haven’t lost any other fish, and it’s been several months. Not sure what the deal was.

Back
Top Bottom