Found step by step instructions on a very cool pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, first of all, this system was installed by professional pond installers. Aquascape Designs, Inc. is the company who makes this product. If you really want to have it done right, http://www.aquascapedesigns.com And search for a contractor. These guys have YEARS AND YEARS of doind this. If you are new to this type os system, I STRONGLY suggest you at least go to a Build A Pond Day in your area. Look it up on ADI's website. As easy as they make it seem, it isnt. It takes preparation, and experience to make this all jive together very nicely. Also contrary to this Bull Sh** about No-Fuss Pond, It isnt. It is no-fuss because the owners are probably on a maintenance plan provided by the installer. It isnt easy at all. The Aquascape system refuses you to use and UV's in your system, and no chemicals, so if your pond is green, it may take weeks before it is clear again. I am not bad-mouthing the company, because ADI is an incredible company who has grossed over $44 million within the past year. He does his job well. However, for the common do-it yourselfer, this is not a good idea. I would recommend doing alot more research than just HGTV. I am actually, extremely anti-HGTV. They are mainstream, and are willing to do anything to get you to buy one of their sponsers' products. They make it seam easy, and it really isnt. Just do research. I apologize me being so "upfront" however, I HATE to see people taken advantage of. Just wanted to get out the information before you blew your money on something that wouldnt work out. If you have any questions, PM me or E-mail me. :D Have a great day!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your opinion..

I know that it wont be as easy as snapping leggo's together, but I am somewhat handy around the house. My father and brother will be in on the job since they want a pond in their yards too. While I understand it is more involved than this, the basic concept is pretty easy.

Dig the hole. Put the tarp down. Rout the plumbing (which I have done), put out the rocks, fill it with water.

I will certainly continue to do more research and buy some good books

Thanks.

Anyone Else?

You'll be alright squishy! Sounds like you have 3 adults who are reasonably handy, and are all into the project. Just do your reading and research, You've already said you'll be doing more than just reading 1 article on HGTV.

Once you feel you are done research, write out the whole plan, step by step. Look for problems that may arise, questions you may still have. It is much easier to fix things in the planning stage, then after the hole is dug.

From the article--"Finally, dig out a few shallow plant pockets in the pond floor for setting aquatic plants in later. "-- I've seen them do this on HGTV shows, ughhh...

If you choose to do this, fine. however, I highly recommend NEVER putting any plants in the pond unless they are potted. You put a rootball and dirt in one of those pockets, you are just asking for a big muddy mess.

Other than that, Check for level like 100 times, then once more. You mess that up, the whole thing looks lopsided, and you have liner showing, not good. Be super meticulous building your waterfall/stream. Its not easy to get the water to flow just the way you want. When I was satisfied with the look and function of all my rockwork, I concreted it in place. made it much more stable, no rocks shifting underfoot. Still looks good, because I bought concrete dye and mixed it in with the wet cement to match the color of my rocks. Most places you can't even tell its there.

I know this was just a bunch of assorted rambling tips, but I hope it helps. :)

One thing to add corvus.....

Sometimes concrete tends to leak lime (spelling? I couldnt remember if it was lime, or lyme... :(), which in turn raises the pH level, so I would recommend against cementing in the stuff unless it is specifically meant for wildlife. They make this stuff that is expandable foam, which is black, blends in nicely, and can be fairly stable... look into that, other than that, have a great day! :D

It's lime.
Lyme is the disease!

That is true, but us East Coasters, we have Acid Rain, and my pond rock is limestone also. The concrete and the limestone buffer the acid rain, my average ph out in the pond is 7.2-7.6. Other areas of the country might have problems with concrete making the water too alkaline, but it works for me.

I've been away for the past few days. 13hour shifts...long days. But thats all great advise. Thanks alot guys..

Now I cant wait to get started!

Back
Top Bottom