Four goldfish in 50 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumfish123

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was thinking getting four goldfish in my 50 gal. They would be the only fish in there. I read that you could easily do three, but four is possible with a little more care and filtration. My tank cycles 14 times in an hour (750 GPH). I also do plan on upgrading to a 55 in the summer. I don't really plan on doing it soon, I'm just planning, but could four goldies work?

I'm pretty sure you could, with that filtration level. The fancy varieties like organda and ryukin get around 10 inches, and lion heads stay a little smaller, around 6 inches. If you looove doing PWC (which I personally do :) ), i think it will be fine.

Thanks! Haha I LOVE doing water changes! Just curious, i plan to get fantails, and I have a power head, do they like calm water?

You can get this
1 moor
1 Oranda
1 lion head
1 ryukin

Completely disagree. Stick to breeds with the same disabilities such as telescopic eyes with telescopic eyes, wen fancies with wen fancies, etc.

Op, what type of fancy goldfish are you interested in keeping? I recommend understocking rather than pushing your limits. If you are unsure of how large fancies grow, please check out the Visual Perspective thread that is stickied at the top of the coldwater section. Feel free to ask any questions! :)

Completely disagree. Stick to breeds with the same disabilities such as telescopic eyes with telescopic eyes, wen fancies with wen fancies, etc.

Op, what type of fancy goldfish are you interested in keeping? I recommend understocking rather than pushing your limits. If you are unsure of how large fancies grow, please check out the Visual Perspective thread that is stickied at the top of the coldwater section. Feel free to ask any questions! :)

Hello jlk! I'm not sure what type they are at Petsmart/petco, but I defiantly want three of those and a black Moore, defiantly a black Moore :) I really have my heart set on four, because I do plan to upgrade either this summer, or as soon as I can :) hey, should I take out my power head when I get the fancies?

Can you post a picture or give a better description of the other type of fancy you are considering?

Well, they looked like this, and I was thinking about getting 3 of them, and a black moore :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397378238.669614.jpg

Personal preferances aside, I see no reason not to keep a mixture of fancies, with the exception, perhaps of bubble-eye goldfish... the worst abborration of nature since ballon mollies in my humble opinion!

With careful maintenance, good filtration and future upgrades you should be fine keepjng 4 fancy goldfish in 50 gallons for now. Do plenty of research about the nitrogen cycle and about caring for for your chosen fish, but please, please please read books as well as forums. That way you will get a ballanced view based on scientific fact as well as personal experience and opinion.

Good luck with your new tank.

Personal preferances aside, I see no reason not to keep a mixture of fancies, with the exception, perhaps of bubble-eye goldfish... the worst abborration of nature since ballon mollies in my humble opinion!

With careful maintenance, good filtration and future upgrades you should be fine keepjng 4 fancy goldfish in 50 gallons for now. Do plenty of research about the nitrogen cycle and about caring for for your chosen fish, but please, please please read books as well as forums. That way you will get a ballanced view based on scientific fact as well as personal experience and opinion.

Good luck with your new tank.

Thank you! The 50 is already established and ready to go (I have a few mollies that I can relocate to my 15 gal). I have been doing some research about how messy they are, and I think I'm ready for the challenge :) If everything works out, I should be able to upgrade either in the summer, or the fall. I agree that four fancies can work in the 50 gal (with an upgrade later) for now, after all they are juveniles when I get them (I'll just probably get them at petco during the 50% off sale!). I'm not sure what kind they are at petco, but I defiantly want a black moore. I will also do plenty of research, and I'm already getting some advice from someone on a fish Facebook group that has a 75 gal goldfish tank!

Well, they looked like this, and I was thinking about getting 3 of them, and a black moore :)

That's a ryukin. I honestly would stick with either the ryukins or telescopes. Ryukins are quite similar to bettas in that they have very distinct personalities (actually, this applies to all fancies). They can be more aggressive than other breeds though. I have kept them with moors short term as juveniles but only the female ryukins were able to cohabit peacefully with moors. Male ryukins can cop quite an attitude (including with each other). I breed moors and other telescopes as well ryukins.

As Pip mentioned, please spend time researching prior to purchase. Both of these breeds grow very large, very quickly. :)

That's a ryukin. I honestly would stick with either the ryukins or telescopes. Ryukins are quite similar to bettas in that they have very distinct personalities (actually, this applies to all fancies). They can be more aggressive than other breeds though. I have kept them with moors short term as juveniles but only the female ryukins were able to cohabit peacefully with moors. Male ryukins can cop quite an attitude (including with each other). I breed moors and other telescopes as well ryukins.

As Pip mentioned, please spend time researching prior to purchase. Both of these breeds grow very large, very quickly. :)

Wow I didn't know that some goldfish can be mean! Wow I have some research to do! By attitude, what exactly do they do? Fin nip? I defiantly have some time for research, I probably can't get them until the end of the month (hopefully sooner!!) :)

When I get them, what should my WC schedule be? I've been doing about 15 gallons a week, and that seems to keep the nitrites at 40 at the end of the week. How many nitrates would 4 fancies make? Also, I have sinking pellets that I plan to feed, but they aren't goldfish pellets, is that ok?

Oh, one more thing, do they eat algae? I was thinking about purposely growing algae so they could eat it :)

I have three goldfish I keep in a 60 gallon. They are still babies right now but I know they will get big so I'm sticking with three for now. Even as small 2-3 inch goldfish they dirty the tank fast! I bought a battery powered aquarium vacuum from petco and clean the top of the gravel 3-4 times a weak. This is great because I don't have to do a water change as often but I can still clean my tank. I have a black moor with two fancies and I will say the poor black moor has a lot of trouble finding food before the fancies eat it all. So I have to put extra food in the take to make sure he gets some and I vacuum up the excess. I feed NLS sinking pellets along with spinach, peas, and orange slices.

I have three goldfish I keep in a 60 gallon. They are still babies right now but I know they will get big so I'm sticking with three for now. Even as small 2-3 inch goldfish they dirty the tank fast! I bought a battery powered aquarium vacuum from petco and clean the top of the gravel 3-4 times a weak. This is great because I don't have to do a water change as often but I can still clean my tank. I have a black moor with two fancies and I will say the poor black moor has a lot of trouble finding food before the fancies eat it all. So I have to put extra food in the take to make sure he gets some and I vacuum up the excess. I feed NLS sinking pellets along with spinach, peas, and orange slices.

Hey it sounds like we have something in common, you have 3 young Goldie's in a 60; and I want 4 young goldies a 50! Lol! So, how much waste are we talking about? Like, will I have to do WCs multiple times a week? About the veggies, how should I prepare them? What is NLS? I'm such a newbie when it comes to goldfish! Lol! Also, how many times a day do you feed them? I was thinking of 3 small meals a day, and I'm trying to grow some algae before I get them, so they can eat that :)

I do a 20 percent water change every two weeks and that combined with gravel vacuuming several times a week seems to be doing great. I highly recommend the vacuum for keeping goldfish. It just makes life a bit easier lol I may have to do water changes more often as they get bigger. I like the gravel vac because it keeps the waste from breaking down into ammonia which can build up fast since goldfish produce so much ammonia. NLS is new life spectrum sinking goldfish pellets. They make ones specifically for goldfish and I ordered it on amazon. I blanch spinach leaves for them so they can tear off pieces and I heat up green peas until mushy but make sure to de-shell them. I don't grow any algae in my tank since it can become a problem. That's just what I prefer. I feed them the sinking pellets morning and night and during the day I feed veggies/fruit. I also give them frozen brine shrimp with spirulina a few times a week. This is my first goldfish tank and I've had it up for 6 months now and its been doing great:D I've gotten a lot of great advice on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom