Fresh2o's "Pond"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 10+ years I broke down my pond. It needed a lot of care to bring it back to what it was at one time. Over the years it housed goldfish, mosquito fish, and one very over grown hardy red lily. It was a preformed pond with spill way. A 500 GPH submersible pump powered the down flow external box filter. It was a place where extra plants could go.
I removed a bunch of mosquito fish that have been there for the past 5 years and they will be off to the LFS tomorrow. Very HARDY fish. Aside from snails, there were zero invertebrates present. The mosquito fish earned their keep.
HqJUx13.jpg

I’m also donating a 5 gallon bucket of frogbit. I had no idea how large it grew outdoors. The raised leaves remind me of water hyacinth. Very thick root system.
gI3PRsU.jpg
l09nCJd.jpg

Here is the hardy lily. It grew out of the plastic pan long ago and its roots completely filled the lower section of the preformed pond. It was HEAVY, too! Throughout the rootball was the occasional dwarf sagitteria.
5MLp2Uu.jpg

Some before and after pics. Leveled the area and planted grass for now. Bye bye pond! Looks like this 4 year old thread is coming to a close.
nOlrOnU.jpg
mbBxAA0.jpg

Wow, what a healthy bunch of plants you have/had there!!!

They looked amazing.

Nice to lower maintenance/time suckers. Someone will be really happy to grow those plants.

Wow, what a healthy bunch of plants you have/had there!!!

They looked amazing.

Nice to lower maintenance/time suckers. Someone will be really happy to grow those plants.

I did not do a good job managing the plants after pulling them from the pond. They sat in a 5g bucket with water for a few days. In 90 F degree heat. Got stagnant. When I moved them to a trash bag for transport, the smell was ungodly. So into the trash they will go. Same thing happened to a couple dozen dwarf sag. Bad me.

Fresh2o's "Pond"

They looked really good! Looks nice levelled

Everything was growing pretty good (from years of detritus buildup). Blanket algae was rampant. The lily was overgrown and root bound. The surrounding area was covered in weeds.
Just growing a lawn there until l decide what to do. Maybe move my fountain in the corner surrounded by a few stepping stones. Or a rock garden.

Last edited:
Everything was growing pretty good (from years of detritus buildup). Blanket algae was rampant. The lily was overgrown and root bound. The surrounding area was covered in weeds.
Just growing a lawn there until l decide what to do. Maybe move my fountain in the corner surrounded by a few stepping stones. Or a rock garden.

Was going to make a cheeky comment about perfect for a fish pond but will resist :) ...

Nicely done cleanup. I've decided after seven large indoor tanks, I need to get my Goldies outside before they outgrow their 75 G. Not interested in digging into the ground, so will go with a galvanized water trough, 300 gallons. Since aeration is more important than heating the tank, I've opted for a strong aeration air pump. I'll insulate the tank and use some landscaping blocks to keep everything in place. My wife is the gardener, so she'll decorate with some water plants. May need some advice, but I plan to have everything done before colder weather.

B

Nicely done cleanup. I've decided after seven large indoor tanks, I need to get my Goldies outside before they outgrow their 75 G. Not interested in digging into the ground, so will go with a galvanized water trough, 300 gallons. Since aeration is more important than heating the tank, I've opted for a strong aeration air pump. I'll insulate the tank and use some landscaping blocks to keep everything in place. My wife is the gardener, so she'll decorate with some water plants. May need some advice, but I plan to have everything done before colder weather.

B

That sounds a nice project [emoji106]

B
You could get a trough heater once the water begins to freeze.

Back
Top Bottom