Freshwater tanks to saltwater trying out a pond now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No moth balls, they are toxic...and smell awful.

I understand there are deterrents like fox urine to apply around the areas they like to travel. Haven't personally used it though.

Also if you leave food out for dogs or cats it is a magnet. I almost had the little buggars in my arms they came so close, they got into my sun room more than once and had to be very cautious not put food out for the stray cat except a small amount in the morning, and had to close off the cat door I had in the window. More than one sad story of the raccoons eating expensive sushi in a pond. I have a 120 gal pond preformed and keep netting on it and so far the birds and raccoons haven't got any.

I took dark netting and strung black outdoor grade (for hiking and camping stuff) elastic from the sewing store woven through the 2 in spaces and cinched it up and pulled around and fits under the edges. It isn't as Zen looking but we have lots of predator birds. Also set a rock or fake rock cover so the fish can hide away if a raccoon or birds come maybe lose less that way. Also deterrent for some birds is having trees or over hang so they can't as easily swoop down and grab and go. I am thinking of adding a wood pergola over top extra shade for hot summer.

My friend has had issues with raccoons. Not only will fox urine work, but so will ours. Me and a friend pee in his back yard all the time. I know it sounds gross, but it works. :whistle:

chagoi said:
Koi grow pretty large. How about a comet or a shubunkin?

Comets and shubunkins still get really big. As for that spider... Eeeeek! I would kill it before it tries to snack on the fish! Scary looking thing, scarier than the snake, which looks like a corn snake, which is nonvenomous and will keep at least small rodents away from the pond. Good luck keeping predators away from the pond, that is something I honestly never thought about when I was contemplating a pond a while back. The netting sounds like a good idea.

pond snake animals

the snake is a corn snake as far as the animals you can use bone meal just have to keep applying after rain also they sell tiger manure to spread around so itll keep coons and foxes and stuff away if you use fox urine youll draw more fox in too investigate thats how they trap nussiance fox bone meal should work equally as well but just dont get any in the pond and be sure to wear a mask when applying it also use rubber gloves as a precaution

Checked on the spider... look up diving bell spider. Is that it? Venomous, can bite humans, big "ouch" say others. I like nature things but if bad stuff gets into my space it needs to go. Sometimes nicely, sometimes not. Good luck.

That is one scary looking spider!!!! He looks big enough to not only snack on fish but birds, squirrels & small children, too!

Thank you all for the feedback! As far ad the spider goes im actually freaked out about it.. Literally.. I think the coons are gone somewhere else :) but i got a baaaad feeling im gunna have alit of snakes. I already have a coyote problem in porter county. I bought 6 solar lights from menards 3lumen each real bright.. Thing is only 1 works :/ working 14 hr days dont have much time for the pond :/

Riley said:
Thank you all for the feedback! As far ad the spider goes im actually freaked out about it.. Literally.. I think the coons are gone somewhere else :) but i got a baaaad feeling im gunna have alit of snakes. I already have a coyote problem in porter county. I bought 6 solar lights from menards 3lumen each real bright.. Thing is only 1 works :/ working 14 hr days dont have much time for the pond :/
Pictures look like your in the country just shoot some coyotes and raccoons and hang them from a low tree they will get the point I probably shot 20-30 raccoons before they stopped coming on our property

Haha yes i am in the country and i have a AR waiting.. Good update about the pond is that the spider is dead.. Easter sunday after a loooooong day at the steel mill i come home and find a stick i coukd try to move it.. It floated :) no more hideous spider! Bad update on the bond is that Northwest Indiana has a bad cold front going on so its mid 40s about to drop to low 30s.. (sorry fishies) you know they say you dont like the weather wait 5 minuites? Litterally...

Riley said:
Haha yes i am in the country and i have a AR waiting.. Good update about the pond is that the spider is dead.. Easter sunday after a loooooong day at the steel mill i come home and find a stick i coukd try to move it.. It floated :) no more hideous spider! Bad update on the bond is that Northwest Indiana has a bad cold front going on so its mid 40s about to drop to low 30s.. (sorry fishies) you know they say you dont like the weather wait 5 minuites? Litterally...

Pow pow lol benefits of country living

Riley,
I have heard from people who keep them, and Guinea hens are supposed to keep snakes away, since you're in the country, maybe you could check in to getting a few. They just roam around.

Here are a few updates on the pond.. Having a few issues with animals.. One question i woul like to ask HOW CAN A SPIDER LIVE UNDERWATER!!!! I have been watching this guy for awhile hea huge and doesnt look nice.. As far as the raccooooons go they arent going after my fish yet but they are wreaking havoc on my landscaping.. Any ideas on how to keep then out? Was gunna take a trip to menards to see what they have to say about it but mothballs maybe? Or what?

Airsoft Rifle and Night Vision Goggles for the raccoons. Non lethal but hurt a bunch enough to drive them off. Mothballs are good for Skunks not sure about Raccoons. Coyote Urine sometimes works too.

I have Dogs, so they stay out of my yard I always out on the look out for them since they are know to get in sheds to breed.

Raccoons are dangerous and destructive if you see any out in the day call animal control it means they are Rabid. I keep my cats inside specifically for that reason.

coons aint no good

well there are good uses for coons they make good coon hash em em good or maybe fried up good in a buttermilk batter

I'm thinking no...thats gross...that's a gross way to live...

Back
Top Bottom