FW Pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Well... Seeing some of you guys' FW pics makes me want a FW again :)

I was wondering if some of these fish can be kept in a pond?

Main thing... What temps could they survive?

Since I have been out of the FW thing for a while, how much does FW cost? Isnt it just a regular light, filter, tank, heater, and thats pretty much it?

Or are there new stuff now? Like CO2?

I think that cichlids would be ok, but you'd probably want to check with the wiser folk. Are you wanting to keep these fish with pond fish like koi? That could be a compatability issue, I'm not sure...

Yea.

Koi, Goldfish (diff types), Mosquito fish (I dont think these would bug anything at all, and they reproduce like rabbits so I dont care if they have a snack or two)

As for the goldfish the types I have are comets (sarrassa (speling)), Shubunkins (Basically a diff colored comet), Ryunkin (spelling), and fantails.

Cichlids in a pond? Well I did read somewhere on the net about a Texas and Convict cichlid pond. But the pond would have to be heated. Maybe an indoor pond. That would be pretty cool. But cichlids are such interesting fish it seems a shame to waste them on a pond in my opinon.

Here's an article on a guy who had an outdoor tropical pond.

http://aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/Grange_pond.html

and here is an article that has a list of some fish that are normally thought of as tropical and yet might do well in coldwater ponds, depending on how cold it gets.

http://aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/Aquarian_goldfishcare.html

Hmmm...This is a very interesting idea, I'd like to see what you can do with it. We used to have a pond with koi and goldfish but I was never really into it....
But once again, I'd check with the wiser folk......
-Blizzard

Not worried about the heat... Could tell you some probs why that guys goldfish died though.........................

Anyway, what is the min temp they survive to?

Also... The pond has been running for years :)

I know how to take care of one, its just I dont know anything about Chilidis.

zacdl said:
Not worried about the heat... Could tell you some probs why that guys goldfish died though.........................

Anyway, what is the min temp they survive to?

Most cichlids perfer a temp of 72-80 degrees F.

Also, I accidentally pressed the report button when I was tryin to hit qoute...sorry about that... :oops:

Oh, I guess they wont surive my winters here :(

1200 gallons is too much water to heat.

How cold does it get in Oklahoma?
CO2 is just for medium-hight to High light planted tanks by the way.. nothing too new going on in the FW tanks as far as equipment is conserned.. unless of course you sitll have a old UGF sitting around.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom