GBD Fish, Bubbles...Eye getting Ready to Pop 1 Year After?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
My baby, Bubbles, survived Gas Bubble disease. Now, a year later the left eye started leaking what looks like Vilreal fluid. It is yellowish and clear. The eye has grown much in size over the last few weeks and I expect it to pop soon.

What should I expect??? Will the total eye come out when it pops? Should I just do a salt bath for several weeks or will antibiotics be needed?

Pics attached of my beautiful white Ryunkin, Bubbles.

Attachments

• Bubbles eye 1 04052015 (2).jpg
    Bubbles eye 1 04052015 (2).jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Bubbles eye 2 04052015 (1).jpg
    Bubbles eye 2 04052015 (1).jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 04052015 (3).jpg
    04052015 (3).jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 86
I've never seen or heard of this but curious on how it all happened?

Erythromycin (antibiotic) is all I can think of to try. I did a quick web look but other med references were past my knowledge.

Not an infectection but a pressurized disease compared to possibly...the Bends. Probably in shipment there was a rapid change of pressure (possibly as they took off or landed a plane). The higher pressure forced nitrogen into his blood stream (although you can get the similar effect with pressurized oxygen absorption.

We realized there was something wrong with his eyes when we got him him home. I wouldn't return him because I knew they would euthanize him.
JLK and other moderators helped me identify the problem quickly and gave me direction on how best to approach this condition.

Bubbles was in a saltwater bath for three months as the nitrogen bubbles worked to the surface and burst in his finnage. For some reason the corneas neither returned to normal or popped. After over a year, there is the change in the left eye. It has swollen and a strange yellow fluid [vitreous fluid tinged with blood? ) has filled the eye. The other eye is still bubbled and no other changes. Just still a opaque haze over the eye. I have moved him and his best buddy into a fairly object free 30 gallon tank. They are not large fish because of their conditions but need socialization and Bubbles needs physical contact from his friend to be happy (Don't tell me goldfish aren't social). He was sedate until I trimmed the plants in the 55. I realized, when the foliage opened up, he could still see light and dark.

The 30 gallon has a daylight bulb that has really stimulated his activity. I believe this is in conjunction with being reunited with his friend Midge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, thanks for the information. The links I read mainly just referred to med baths and meds for sea horses in salt water without much detail.

Perhaps this was referring to air bubbles from bacterial infection. The info was pretty scanty as something like use x in a bath for treating air bubbles without more detail.

Was the saltwater to draw the air out? Elsewhere all I read was that fish would naturally seek deeper, colder water. As you mentioned with bends, I did wonder if this was so the gas would be re-absorbed or something.

Sorry, late request - when you say saltwater bath for three months is that a SW'ish tank or just a daily(?) dip?. If it was a SW'ish tank, what salt level was it?

Longest I had used salt in a tank as a med was about 3 weeks so this just caught my eye as I've wondered how the fish do long term. My suspicion has been that fish (including scaleless) handle salt better than we think but then again, so hard to read the tea leaves with what is going on with a fish.

A low dose, long term salt bath was used as an antibacterial as the nitrogen bubbles were bursting. Once they had stopped I totally weaned him slowly over to fresh water. Like many would, I panicked at first and used antibiotics. They were not necessary in this situation. I had to finish the treatment so that I didn't cause an antibiotic resistance situation. The natural treatment was the best. Aquarium salt or epsom salts can treat a huge amount of conditions in goldfish. I learned from the moderators here and constantly read to build more knowledge.

The nitrogen or oxygen is forced into the blood stream by pressure causing miroscopic bubbles. Then these microscopic bubbles join others and form much larger ones.

Goggle gas bubble disease goldfish and it should bring up pertinent articles. I found many on the internet.

My concentration isn't good because of a condition. I research things I need to know and then go back later to find out more or to answer questions that pop into my head when new situations arise. The moderators here are all experienced and full of information and I frequently post my inqueries here. They are more than happy to help.

Since Bubbles and Midge are of small size due to their health conditions, I was able to use their seasoned tank water to move them into a 30 gallon together. Bubbles is so much happier and active again. It stimulates him when Midge brushes against him.

The tank is totally free of obstacles to get stuck in. Their environmental stimulates are a rock and piece of wood.

Bubbles eye is the same but hasn't gotten any worse. If it doesn't start swelling again it may not pop at all. It is definitely not infected. I am curious if being in the 30 with lower water pressure will make any difference in the swelling due to the decrease of pressure per square inch? What do you think?

I do not believe its infected either. Yes, it's possible the reduced pressure may help a bit. No guarantees though as I can only speak from experience using reduced pressure/low water levels to help with buoyancy issues related to swim bladder problems- in this situation, the reduced pressure can (sometimes...) work wonders. So, let's hope for the best!

It sounds like you have figured out a good arrangement for these guys that will keep them both content. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom