Goldfish acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
My uncles black Moore is acting weird. He's laying at the bottom of the tank and looks almost like he has chapped lips. I have no clue the conditions of his tanks but the other goldfish are fine. Here's a pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406150441.694959.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's difficult to say for sure without knowing anything (tank size, exact stock, parameters, wc schedule, diet, etc). He appears to have a white area on his side as well and appears underweight.

My first suggestion is to check the parameters. Moors are particularly sensitive to unhealthy water conditions. Toxins present and/or low ph can cause white areas on a moor as well as induce bottom sitting. Nitrate levels that read 40 (or higher) as well as an improper diet will also cause a fancy to bottom sit and have buoyancy issues.

If you can provide more specific information, we can provide further help!

All I know is that he is in a 20 gallon with a lion head and a fantail in a 20 gallon grow out, all about 1-2 inches. My uncle works a lot and doesn't do water changes so I usually do a 50 percent one every week or so. They are fed twice a day with tetra goldfish flakes. I'll tell him to do a water change and see what happens

almost sounds like the beginnings of swimmers bladder , thats when they form air bubbles they can't release, 20g is a bit small for any gold fish as they are usually very active, and grow quite rapidly ,
try feeding him some frozen peas they usually help to release the air
also check the temp of the water goldfish are a cold water fish

Ok thanks a lot!

Have you added anything to the tank? It looks a bit like columnaris to me (which killed everything in my 1st tank - thanks Petsmart!).

I've never seen swim bladder problems cause white lips, but then there are a lot of things I have never seen.

If there is a chance it could be columnaris, I would take him out and put a uv filter in the tank as a precaution. UV filter will often kill bad bacteria in a tank without disrupting the good (at least I have never had a problem on any of my tanks when I have had one running).

Good luck!

Looks a lot like mouth fungus.

Black moor with mouth fungus

The white spot on his side may also be fungus so I would put in in the Quarantine and try to treat him with some anti-fungal medication. If you have no QT you can try in the tank but see how the other fish react to it.

If there is a chance it could be columnaris, I would take him out and put a uv filter in the tank as a precaution. UV filter will often kill bad bacteria in a tank without disrupting the good (at least I have never had a problem on any of my tanks when I have had one running).

Just to be clear it only kills the bad bacteria (or parasites) that pass through it. So all the bacteria in the water column is killed. The reason it doesn't kill the beneficial bacteria is because beneficial bacteria lives in the filter and on other surfaces. :)

Ok thank you all

Back
Top Bottom