Goldfish Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RABENA

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need advice! I can't get them off the ground.
Both fish are about 2.5-3 lbs and I can not can't sex them either.
40 GLS

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399380575158.jpg
    1399380575158.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 98
  • 1399380948875.jpg
    1399380948875.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 1399381530782.jpg
    1399381530782.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
Rabena, can you please post your exact parameters and wc schedule? Bottom sitting indicates unhealthy water. With multiple large fish in a small tank, it will likely require large daily wcs to try and keep parameters reasonably in check. Gender in this situation is irrelevant. Some more information will help! :)

pet store say my water is bad plus how often can I WC how much can I take out daily.
I a 40gsl breeder tank
1 aqua 30 filter
1aqua 60 filter
tetra in water 60 in that I have charcoal and ? pks

my water is green can that be from the peas. they like peas they are all getting very rough w/ each other had to take everything out of tank. chasing each other

Rabena, can you please post your exact parameters and wc schedule? Bottom sitting indicates unhealthy water. With multiple large fish in a small tank, it will likely require large daily wcs to try and keep parameters reasonably in check. Gender in this situation is irrelevant. Some more information will help! :)

kbw z

I need advice! I can't get them off the ground.
Both fish are about 2.5-3 lbs and I can not can't sex them either.
40 GLS

my water is green can that be from the peas. they like peas they are all getting very rough w/ each other had to take everything out of tank. chasing each other

pet store say my water is bad plus how often can I WC how much can I take out daily.
I a 40gsl breeder tank
1 aqua 30 filter
1aqua 60 filter
tetra in water 60 in that I have charcoal and ? pks

Can you please explain further on the pet stores definition of 'bad'? Do they test with strips or liquid tests? Can you please ask them for exact ppm (parts per million) for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as a reading for ph?

I suspect the green water is the result of algae due to a heavy excess of toxins present. Short term, a hefty water change may help reduce toxin levels but long term they honestly a much larger tank or pond.

The tank is wayyyyyyy to small for those fish. They sitting in poison basically. Do daily 75% water changes at least until you can get something like a 200 gallon tank or rehome them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

all those goldfish were saved they were feeder 200 gals come on !! suggest a good filter system

200 gallons isn't really big enough. As someone else said they really need a pond. They need a huge water volume, they produce huge waste. Filtration only keeps your fish alive between water changes by holding enough biomedia to break down ammonia and nitrites into less harmful nitrates. These fish will always suffer in a small tank and you will not be able to keep them healthy. Sorry you don't like the info but that's just how it is.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

They are pond fish. Pond fish need to be in a pond. It's really that simple. What you have there is akin to keeping Great Danes in a closet.

they we're about the size of a fifty cent piece when I got them ; I really didn't expect them to get that big.
I DONT have a pond or a 200 gal tank. so what is my next step. WC can be done daily about 50% . I'll have to do it every day in order to keep the parameters in check
do you have any suggestions on a different filter system

You can't get enough filtration for that tank as the volume of water in the tank is too small to support those fish. A good sized pair of canister filter or a sump based system would help, but even those would still require multiple large water changes each week. Plus the cost of such a system would run into hundreds of dollars. The problem is the amount of waste produced by the fish will quickly overwhelm the filters and continue to build up in the tank. So even with the best filtration you will still have to do large water changes and vacuuming to remove the poop. You need more water in the tank and more room for the fish to grow. Basically you are stunting the fish.

All babies are little. And then they grow. Your feeders are growing and they need what they need. They have reached the point where they can't cope anymore.

Try looking at it this way. And I'm serious when I ask this. You are locked in a very small room with a few other people. There is no bathroom, just a small bucket. No fresh air coming in. What could your captors possibly do to make you feel ok about staying in there forever? What if they gave you a bigger bucket and a fan? Can you envision anything (other than being set free) that would be acceptable to you?

Common Goldfish get 12" or more. They can live more than 20yrs with proper care. Please consider what is best for your fish. You have Pond fish in a tank. Long term it doesn't work out. Thus the stunting and dying too soon. Sorry ?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom