Goldfish and Lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All.

I have bought a seaweed clip off eBay and was wondering what kind of lettuce to feed my goldfish?

Can I freeze the lettuce and then give it to them safely?

Dark green or purple lettuces are the most nutritious (spinach, kale, turnip greens, etc). Iceberg lettuce is nothing more than water and a tiny bit of fiber and really has no nutritional benefit. Whether you want to freeze it first or not is up to you as it will defrost very quickly once its in the tank. It will softened it up though! :)

Hi All. I have bought a seaweed clip off eBay and was wondering what kind of lettuce to feed my goldfish? Can I freeze the lettuce and then give it to them safely?

I've also fed Romaine and zucchini pieces.
Orange slices keep the rind on, but expect a mess. Only feed Orange just before a big cleaning. Messy, but good for them. Organic is best but always rinse the skin well !!

Thanks for the replies guys! How long after I've attached it to the clip can I leave it in the tank before removing any un-eaten bits?

Goldfish will generally eat it all up. Definitely try zuchinini an cucumbers. Romaineis the only lettuce ive heard, and i wouldnt do spinach as it contains a buttload of minerals. I never heard o using citrus. If it isnt eaten in half an hour I would take it out.this would be the cheapest way to get veggies to ur goldies- Try getting a small one to ten gallon tank to leave outside, and get a bit of duckweed (an aquatic plant). It grows like crazy. Grab a handful every day and put it in ur goldie tank. They should eat that right up - and if they dont they will later. Dont introduce it into a tank without goldfish tho.

Spinach is fine and actually preferred over peas when dealing with buoyancy issues. Goldies LOVE citrus fruits as well as melons, bananas, berries and other fruits (though they should not be fed daily due to the high sugar content). Generally, leaving foods in the tank for 12hrs or so is fine (if anything even lasts this long). :)

Wow. I had no idea Goldfish would eat anything. I'm going to give mine a small chunk of cucumber and tomato to see what they like best.

Back
Top Bottom