Goldfish and white clouds minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovefishys18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was wondering if I can house white clouds in with my goldfish. I have a 75 gallon with 7 baby goldfish.

Hello i...

Goldfish are cold blooded and need much cooler water than tropical, warm blooded White Clouds. The two shouldn't be kept in the same tank.

B

Thank you, I got told that white clouds are cold water. Are there any "schooling" fish that are cold blooded?

Both goldfish and White Cloud Mountain minnows prefer cooler temps and would be fine together. However, larger goldfish may see the WCMM as a food source.

Last edited:
Hello Fresh...

Are you serious? White Clouds are small fish and Goldfish will get very large. The White Clouds will eventually be lunch.

B

Yes I am serious. OP specified that they were “babies” so (indoors) this could be 1-2”. You are correct, goldfish will grow and will probably eat them. But we are assuming these are comets/feeders. The rounder bodied goldfish (excluding fantail and ryunkins) are not very quick.

Hello again i...

Trust me on this one. I've kept and am keeping tropical fish and Goldfish. There are numerous reasons for not keeping Tropicals and Goldfish together. They have different food requirements, water temperature requirements, Goldfish will stress in warmer water, that Tropicals prefer and visa versa. Warmer water doesn't hold enough oxygen for a cold water fish like a Goldfish. Colder water maintains a higher oxygen level that Goldfish prefer. The eventual size difference alone should tell you not to combine these two.

Research keeping Tropicals with Goldfish. This is an accident waiting to happen.

B

Not arguing the tropical + cold water fish combo... it should be avoided for obvious reasons.
You are generalizing this. WCMM are sub-tropical at best and prefer temps between 68-75 degrees F. In their natural habitat, the temps can range from 57-79 F.

Goldfish and Tropical Fish

Sorry Fresh...

I can't buy into this one. The temperature difference alone will eventually lead to health problems for one or the other.

B

Please explain the difference. Let’s assume the tank is unheated and average room temperature is 73 F. That is within the range for both fish. The temps can dip into the 60s and both will be fine.
In your previous post you were assuming WCMM are tropical.

sorry BBradbury but you are wrong and fresh2o is right. gold fish are said to be kept in temps of 65-75 degrees where as white clouds are said to be kept in 64-72 degrees. that is the exact same range.

There are plenty of fish that are temperature compatible with Goldfish. That is not the major obstacle which is actually how they will interact together. I have kept large groups zebra danios in the past with my Ryukins with no problem. A few of the smaller danios did initially "disappear" :) but as they grew this problem stopped. Over time as the group of danios dwindled down (<3) they did start becoming more nippy toward the Goldfish at which time they were rehomed. This is pretty standard behavior. Nowadays, I prefer to keep Goldfish only in the tanks since I don't want the added stress of having to constantly referee and watch out for this type of bad behavior.

Back
Top Bottom