Goldfish eating air?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Around 30-50% a week. When i brought a water sample to my lfs they said they wouldnt of guessed i had goldfish in there. And i may possibly get a 75 in the future if i find a good enough deal on one. A 75 should be sufficient enough to hold the six and my clown right?

A clown loach?

According to AqAdvisor, you'd be 129% stocked with 6 fancy goldfish and a clown loach in a 75 gallon aquarium.

The same website says you are currently 187% stocked in your 55. I'm assuming here. But you have the loach in with the goldies right now, don't you?

All loaches do better in groups.

Last edited:
It was only one and she seemed to have stopped must of been a one night thing but ill keep an eye on her. And i just added a new fish two days ago.

Was the new fish quarantined? Was it another goldfish? If your not testing your water yourself, I am suspicious that the new addition may have pushed your tank beyond its reasonable capacity and you likely have spikes in toxins. If the new fish was not qt'd for a couple of weeks, it's also possible there's a disease issue at play here.

Was the new fish quarantined? Was it another goldfish? If your not testing your water yourself, I am suspicious that the new addition may have pushed your tank beyond its reasonable capacity and you likely have spikes in toxins. If the new fish was not qt'd for a couple of weeks, it's also possible there's a disease issue at play here.

It was a small pleco and it was not quarantined. But the pleco is not even an inch long so it shouldnt put a lot of bio-load on the tank.

A clown pleco and 6 fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon aquarium is 161% stocked.

If you aren't going to put some of these fish in another large tank soon, you shouldn't be surprised to have one problem after another.

A clown pleco and 6 fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon aquarium is 161% stocked.

If you aren't going to put some of these fish in another large tank soon, you shouldn't be surprised to have one problem after another.

I will have an empty 55 in a few months besides some bushynose plecos. I was gonna do a tropical tank but i could move two or three to the other 55?

Why don't you play with the calculator at Aq Advisor with that link I gave you? That should answer a lot of level of stocking questions.

It's also going to ask for number of filters and sizes.

Why don't you play with the calculator at Aq Advisor with that link I gave you? That should answer a lot of level of stocking questions.

It's also going to ask for number of filters and sizes.

Alright I'll mess with it a bit. Thanks for all the help!

If you have another 55g, split the goldfish up so there is three in each tank. This will give them room to grow. I did try playing around with that site and received similar stocking numbers ranging from 161-191+% overstocked, depending on what type of goldfish you enter. They only have a few types of goldfish listed and I dont know what type you have.

Yeah but i have three times the filtration(; haha but yeah ill split them up when i can could i add one more in each tank to make 4? Or three would be enough?

Heavy filtration helps to a point but it does not make up for lack of sufficient water nor does heavy filtration remove hormones. Lots of water dilute them as well as lots of water changes. Can you add another goldfish (total 4) to a 55g? Yes, if your willing to stay on top of the water changes. Personally, I would keep it at three and work on growing out and conditioning these guys for ideal growth but I also realize this isnt for everyone. If you want a bit of perspective, I can post a pic I took the other day of one of my adults next to a younger fish. :)

Heavy filtration helps to a point but it does not make up for lack of sufficient water nor does heavy filtration remove hormones. Lots of water dilute them as well as lots of water changes. Can you add another goldfish (total 4) to a 55g? Yes, if your willing to stay on top of the water changes. Personally, I would keep it at three and work on growing out and conditioning these guys for ideal growth but I also realize this isnt for everyone. If you want a bit of perspective, I can post a pic I took the other day of one of my adults next to a younger fish. :)

Yes please!

Ok- give me minute here. If this doesnt work from my computer, I will post this from the app. The 'obvious' black moor (he is already turning orange) is the size of a large lemon/tangerine. The other fish is a black moor nymph who has turned completely orange. I needed to do work on the juvenile moor's home, so he was stuck with the big boys for a bit!

Ok- give me minute here. If this doesnt work from my computer, I will post this from the app. The 'obvious' black moor (he is already turning orange) is the size of a large lemon/tangerine. The other fish is a black moor nymph who has turned completely orange. I needed to do work on the juvenile moor's home, so he was stuck with the big boys for a bit!

No picture if it was meant to be attached. But I have a feeling the moor can handle it, they seem to be a carefree type of fish!

image-4145480393.jpg

image-1532704698.jpg

image-269980650.jpg

My bad boy moor nymph is probably my favorite fish and he is a monster! :)

Attachments

• image-3532281350.jpg
    image-3532281350.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
He shares a 55g with my other big moor (who is turning white). They will be back outside in the spring. Not all black moors will turn orange, but if I had to venture a guess, its likely in the 75%+ favor they will change color. :)

He shares a 55g with my other big moor (who is turning white). They will be back outside in the spring. Not all black moors will turn orange, but if I had to venture a guess, its likely in the 75%+ favor they will change color. :)

Mine has gold under its tummy already will it just be that color when it does change ?

Back
Top Bottom