Goldfish going lighter in colour, possibly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterwillgtr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
White gravel ?

Hello sirs have noticed over time my goldfish have been losing their colour notably my black ranchu who is now a very light grey rather than the black moor colouring he came with. This has happened gradually over a year or so, and was just wondering if it's because I kept white ceramic gravel in there, ie is the tank too bright for the goldfish to retain their colour? Would changing the gravel to darker colour help goldfish to retain thei saturated colour ? Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's perfectly normal. Dark and/or unusual colors in goldfish are rarely ever static unless very specifically bred. Black will demelanize to orange or white. Even orange may eventually fade to white. Keeping a black goldfish in natural sunlight environment may help extend the length of time dark colors are maintained but will not stop the inevitability of genetics. Feel free to ask any questions! :)

Hey sir I changed the gravel from the bright white ceramic to a more natural stone colour - fish colour returned!! So basically I just had the tank too bright basically!! I did get hikari food anyway though hahaha ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409777186.866000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom