Goldfish HELP-Facts and can they livw with small plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish101

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help can someone give me 2 paragraphs long for a goldfish help like water temp,Big of tank,Length for fancy goldfish??:fish2::confused:

Water temp: 65ish Tank size:200+ gallons with lots and lots of filtration. Ponds are much much better and only should be kept in ponds in my opinion.

Fancies get rather large&have a huge bioload...with a good amnt of filtration you could get away with a couple in a 75g...

Goldfish are very adaptable fish and it's better to have consistent parameters.

Goldfish are cooler water meaning no heater is needed and tank is fine at room temperature.

They prefer alkaline water with high gH and kH. They thrive in a pH of 7.2 to 8.0. But again better to have consistent pH.

Goldfish are messy with regard to bioload. The more water you can provide the healthier your fish and easier upkeep for you. Fancies should have 20-gallon for first and 10-gallon for each additional. Single-tails such as Comets and Commons should have a min of 20-gallons each. Again the more water the better.

Weekly water changes of 75%.

No flakes- use gel good or sinking pellets to prevent swim bladder issues. Especially with fancies.

Filtration should be equal to 10x the volume of tank for HOB filters. 7x volume for canisters. So a 75-gallon tank would need filters totally a filtration of 750 gph (gallons per hour)

Treat for flukes with Prazipro every six months.

So not use typical gravel as GF can get it caught in their mouths. Use sand, pea-size gravel. Keep it no more than 1/4 deep to make cleaning gravel easier. Waste can easily collect in gravel polluting the water.

Hope this helps

this is not true, bristlenoses have been known to do it too.

I have not heard of that. I did a lot of research before adding one in with our shubunkin. Bristlenose are very calm plecos. We have no problem with ours.

I have not heard of that. I did a lot of research before adding one in with our shubunkin. Bristlenose are very calm plecos. We have no problem with ours.
yay that's what I thought until I put two in a small 5 gallon quarantine tank and they killed each other.

yay that's what I thought until I put two in a small 5 gallon quarantine tank and they killed each other.

Even the most docile of fish can become aggressive when placed in crowded conditions. Two male bristlenose plecos will fight for territory, especially in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom