Goldfish laying down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airborne173x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two juvenile fancy goldfish (black moor and celestial eye) in a 10g tank. Today I've notice they both are staying near the bottom of the tank. I did some testing and found my ammonia levels are at 0 and nitrites are around .25 and nitrates are real low 0-10ppm. Any ideas? Ph is around 7.4

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

**UPDATE**
I did a partial (30%) water change and now I'm reading zero on the nitrites. Black Moor is swimming all over the place. The celestial is still just chilling at the bottom through...

How long have they been living in a 10g? Did you purchase them at the same time? What is your normal water change and maintenance schedule? What is their normal diet (brand/type of food, other foods)? Some more information will help us to help you better!

Make sure to use Prime or a good conditioner. Clean safe water one of the best things you can offer.

Read up on Goldfish. They will need at least a 29-40g to thrive. A 10g will need a lot of water changes.

Your fish may survive. There are many threads with good goldfish advice.

I hope your fish live and you can stick around to find out what they really need, not just what the store tried to sell you.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin Rot is usually a sign of dirty or contaminated water AFAIK. Fins can grow back.

Ick needs large water changes and gravel vacuuming. Not just meds. You could try separating them. But stress is hard for the sick one. Healthy fish can fight through Ick better.

Offer skinned frozen/defrosted bits of Green Peas at least weekly.

If the Oranda does not pull through I would move the Black Moor to a new rinsed clean 5g bucket and thoroughly clean and maybe sterilize the tank and restart it.

Read up on Fish In Cycling.

Decide if you have room and money for a 30-40g tank as Fancy Goldfish get very large and they grow fast. A 10g is not the best size even as a starter. They are messy fish and need very clean water to grow and thrive.

Meds only work when Ick is free swimming. So it can take several rounds. Ick is a parasite.

Decide if you have room and money for a 30-40g tank as Fancy Goldfish get very large and they grow fast. A 10g is not the best size even as a starter. They are messy fish and need very clean water to grow and thrive.

These guys are going into a 40 gallon hex as soon as my 55g is up and fully cycled and I can transport the danios and tetras I have in there to it. These guys are pretty small currently and like I said before. I'm at zero on ammonia and very low on nitrates and nitrates.

The poor little guy doesn't look happy.

Does appear to be ich - but JLK will be able to confirm and advise a treatment.

How long have they been living in a 10g? Did you purchase them at the same time? What is your normal water change and maintenance schedule? What is their normal diet (brand/type of food, other foods)? Some more information will help us to help you better!

I bought the Black Moor about two weeks or so before I got the Celestial Eye. They have both been in there for about a week and a half, maybe two. I have been doing 25% changes the last few days but before that I probably only did one because all of my levels were always good. I was planning on moving them over to a 40g hex sometime within the week, I just need to move the Danios and Tetras in there to my 55g and cool the water.

As far as food, Cobalt Goldfish flakes with the occasional sinking pellet that I snag from my cichlid haha. I'm am stuck on what to do because most remedies say to raise the temp but I don't wanna fry them. I have it in the mid 70s now and its warmer than I'd like already. I used some Kordon Rid Ich today after a 25% change and was planning on continuing the regiment until I saw some results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! The Black Moor is starting to get a little white on his tail now as well. They are both being lethargic! Help!

The poor little guy doesn't look happy.

Does appear to be ich - but JLK will be able to confirm and advise a treatment.

Yeah, he's been really lethargic and just laying around the bottom, I'm afraid it's starting to spread to the Black Moor as well :-/

Heat isn't necessary with fancies and the temps required to treat ich in tropicals will likely kill a fancy (86-88+f). As you have already added meds, you will need to finish the course unless they react negatively. Fancies can be very sensitive to ich meds so do keep a close watch on them.

You will need to work on some dietary changes for them when possible. Flakes can aggravate buoyancy and digestive issues that fancies are prone to. A quality sinking pellet and/or gelfood in addition to daily veggies, some fresh proteins and some occasional fruits will serve them best. Multiple meals spread out over the course of the day is best suited for their digestive tract and for healthy growth. I suspect part of their inactivity is due to insufficient nutrition- with two goldfish in a tiny 10g, your nitrates should be doubling or tripling on a daily basis with appropriate food intake for a juvenile fish.

Please keep us posted and do not hesitate to ask any questions!

You will need to work on some dietary changes for them when possible. Flakes can aggravate buoyancy and digestive issues that fancies are prone to. A quality sinking pellet and/or gelfood in addition to daily veggies, some fresh proteins and some occasional fruits will serve them best. Multiple meals spread out over the course of the day is best suited for their digestive tract and for healthy growth. I suspect part of their inactivity is due to insufficient nutrition- with two goldfish in a tiny 10g, your nitrates should be doubling or tripling on a daily basis with appropriate food intake for a juvenile fish.

Please keep us posted and do not hesitate to ask any questions!

What kind of fruits and veggies would you recommend? I only have sinking cichlid pellets currently. They don't seem to like them very much, they will spit them out after a few seconds. I do think I'm underfeeding them though, I was just doing flakes once a day, and not a ton of them. I just put some flake and pellets in the tank and they went nuts! I'm sure that was a big part of it!

Goldfish are pigs in my opinion and will eat every time you feed them. I'm serving omega one sinking small pellets, closer to the size of a granule, actually. I also feed cooked, skinned peas almost daily. I have a different setup so I over feed my fish and serve peas often to prevent constipation.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of fruits and veggies would you recommend? I only have sinking cichlid pellets currently. They don't seem to like them very much, they will spit them out after a few seconds. I do think I'm underfeeding them though, I was just doing flakes once a day, and not a ton of them. I just put some flake and pellets in the tank and they went nuts! I'm sure that was a big part of it!

Most veggies are game but avoid heavy starches (corn, potatoes) and anything spicy. Spinach, deshelled peas, broccoli, kale, zucchini, carrots, asparagus, anything dark green/purple and leafy, etc are easy ones. Cook them a bit to soften them and/or purée/crush into bits. Citrus fruits, berries, melons, grapes, bananas, soft apple/pear are all great fruits. Canned fruits in juice (not syrup) are fine but canned veggies are heavy in salt (fresh/frozen are best). Keep in mind, it may take several attempts before they realize this stuff is yummy!

I use Hikari goldfish foods as my staple food (Lionhead and Saki) for most of my fish with some meals of homemade gelfood. ProGold, NLS and Almost Natural are also good options for sinking goldfish pellets. Please ask any questions!

***UPDATE***. He's healthy and the ich has been removed! They will be getting transported to my 40g hex on Monday!

Most veggies are game but avoid heavy starches (corn, potatoes) and anything spicy. Spinach, deshelled peas, broccoli, kale, zucchini, carrots, asparagus, anything dark green/purple and leafy, etc are easy ones. Cook them a bit to soften them and/or purée/crush into bits. Citrus fruits, berries, melons, grapes, bananas, soft apaple/pear are all great fruits. Canned fruits in juice (not syrup) are fine but canned veggies are heavy in salt (fresh/frozen are best). Keep in mind, it may take several attempts before they realize this stuff is yummy!

I use Hikari goldfish foods as my staple food (Lionhead and Saki) for most of my fish with some meals of homemade gelfood. ProGold, NLS and Almost Natural are also good options for sinking goldfish pellets. Please ask any questions!

Mine LOVE red leaf lettuce which I clip to the side of the tank. it keeps them from ruining my plants. I also like spectrum for goldfish.

How do you feed fruits? And do berries color the water at all?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom