Goldfish + Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do any of you guys have experience with anubias nana, pygmy, broad leaf, or narrow leaf chain swords or ruffle sword? What are their requirements? Are they compatible with goldfish? What should their placements in the tank be? Thanks!

Do any of you guys have experience with anubias nana, pygmy, broad leaf, or narrow leaf chain swords or ruffle sword? What are their requirements? Are they compatible with goldfish? What should their placements in the tank be? Thanks!

I've had broadleaf chain swords over the past year. Nice green color; not too big, not too small in size. They like decent light. I am using a Finnex FugeRay LED over a 20 long with EcoComplete. Once established it will send out runners weekly. After I introduced DIY CO2 they would take over the tank if left unchecked. I also have it growing in an unheated 6.6g with two 13w CFLs. It's growing, albeit slowly. I did have it growing under dual T5 normal output and it hardly grew. I also had some growing outside for a while but it appears that the east coast winter killed them off (it's from S America). I do not have goldfish so I do not know how durable it would be (if anything they may chew on the runners). Cannot comment on the other swords other than they are root feeders.

The anubias is a tough slow growing plant and should be fine with goldfish IMO.

I think the key to keeping goldfish with plants is to make sure that there is enough veggies in their diet. Of course goldfish like to uproot things so this may present a problem with smaller plants.

They tend to like to pull them up.

Back
Top Bottom