goldfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smk83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 55g tank with three goldfish - blackmoor, ranchu and oranda. Lately I've been noticing the ranchu and blackmoor swim to the surface to "gulp" air. The oranda is a baby and swims mid to lower level of tank. I've checked the water levels for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and everything is in check. I have two water filters going, and also an air/bubble wand. I have three amazon swords in my tank, and it's a bare bottom tank (with a little bit of gravel). I started the tank in January, and have been noticing this behavior the last few weeks...any thoughts? They aren't swimming on their sides, and their poop is healthy (so don't think it's swim bladder). Anything to be concerned about, or are they just playing?

I have goldfish too in a smaller tank, but I use quite a few plants in and the oxygen level stays good for them. Although I'm about to get a small powerhead since I will be adding in 2 Hillstream loaches to get rid of the algae. Try some plants... even before I had Eco-complete I would float a couple of branches from my wife's potted plants.

I have three amazon swords in the tank already...just not sure if the fish are irritated or just playing around?

I have three amazon swords in the tank already...just not sure if the fish are irritated or just playing around?

There might be something going on with the water quality... What water conditioner are you using?

That's a great food! Just make sure they are getting their veggies. As water quality is not an issue, I recommend a course of praziquantel (Prazipro or powdered 5mg/l). Basically, every single goldfish from a commercial source has them to some degree. Addressing them before there are actual symptoms will prevent permanent damage they cause. Gulping air, yawning, sitting in the filter flow/bubbles or rapid/heavy gill movement indicate there is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom