goldfish tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i have a goldfish tank, i know its overstocked and to small but ill be upgrading the tank soon and all the fish have been dwarfed(not by me). what should i do to make the tank look nicer?

Attachments

• IMG_7837.jpg
    IMG_7837.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7836.jpg
    IMG_7836.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 160
If you can't afford a bigger tank look at used or find a pond for the single tail Goldfish. Any Fancies I'd recommend 29g first fish and 20g per fish after that at a bare minimum.

They need big filters. 4x water volume at least. Plan on big water changes for now.

Keep testing water.

No plastic plants with sharp edges. Silk only.

Greens and veggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

when i say upgrading tank i mean ill be getting a bigger one. i do have good filtration. i need to find some live plants for them.

Glodfish also need considerably colder water then tropical fish. Also change that light out for a simple LED, or a lighter Fluorescent ine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go for a more natural look with brown gravel, a piece of drift wood and lots of plants. get some stones for algea, and try to get current going. It just looks a lot better with goldfish when its a natural cold stream sorta look.

I wouldn't recommend you go too mad on trying to get a strong current. Goldfish don't need a powerhead the current will be too strong and bounce them about. Simply ensureing any internal filter water outlets are out of the water will create a comfirtable amount of water movement on the surface to help oxygenate the tank.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Check your water quality. As you are overstocked goldfish sucking up at the surface as some of your fish are doing in the pictures could be a sign of high nitrite levels. Unless you have just feed them and they were feeding.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

A background would look nice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You shouldn't keep fancy tail goldfish with single tail as they have a tough time competing for food,

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You are not making any mistakes that any other first time fish parents don't make. Look at JLK'S sticky to see size differentiation. Leave the little guys where they are. Set up your larger tank and fill with some of the seasoned water from the current tank. Move the larger fish into the new setup and finish filling with fresh water after a few hours of adjustment. It will mimic a large water change for both tanks. The new tank will still experience a cycle period before those beneficial bacteria introduced with the seasoned tank water take hold and multiply enough to adjust to the proper ammonia processing to nitrate level. Be prepared to do water changes as needed per LIQUID test kit. (Was a pool proffessional) test strips are never truly accurate enough. I still learned that lesson here from the moderators. I never realized how unreliable those test strips were until I compared them to a liquid test kit.

I was determined to have a balanced ecosystem in my tanks. Totally worked with my 2 sight impaired fish. My 55 is a gorgeous heavily planted tank. My Orandas and Telescope in the 120 mowed totally everything, even things that were considered hardy for goldfish (rapid growth rates). I happened upon the best tip ever......Mix artificial plants with real ones....totally a winner! It is even hard for me to tell at a distance whether it is the real or artificial plant. It has totally confused the fish kids. Before, nothing survived. By providing them with a high majority of veggies and natural vegetation, they haven't even disturbed some Wisteria floating at the Surface. I grow Duckweed, Anacharis and other natural vegetation that is intended for food in a dedicated plant tank. This kind of satiates their natural need for plants. The light you have would most likely be great for some lower light dependent pants (I don't know what the spectrum is)? I also will not introduce lead into my water. All new plants after quarantine and then later sterilization with potassium permangenate, are weighted with nonlead fishing weights. They come in a majority of sizes and you can match to the need of sinking weight of the plant. Silly fish try to uproot them...lol

Goldfish in ponds need shade from the sun in the form of Water Lillys and other plants that provide surface coverage.

It is true that your Fancy Goldfish at some time will have trouble competing for food with an ordinary Comet, Shubunkinkin or Koi. A Fancy Goldfish was bred with shape in mind not speed. Their awkward shape is encumbering. That guy would do best in his own tank or a pond.

You are doing a great job and this is definitely a great place to learn. The moderators here are the best

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks for your reply, i got a 20 gallon tank, it is 30 inches long, 10 wide, and 16 tall. we have a pond with a bunch of duck weed so they have that, and we got a pleco, and we are going to get a dojo loach

Why would you add more fish to an overstocked tank? A 20 is still to small. Goldfish have a huge bio load. You will stunt these fish if you haven't already. This is not ethical fish keeping.

i got most of them stunted all ready, and i plan on getting a second filter for the tank to help with filtration.

That's not going to help. Filtration can't remove bio load that's why our tanks remain with nitrates we must remove via water changes. Seriously look at what your doing.

Back
Top Bottom