Goldfish tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think it'd be ok to just rinse them really well with tap water instead of using something else diluted?

This is a topic where jlk and I disagree.

Algae start life as spores. Unless you are using a hermetically closed tank, with proper food and light you'll have algae.

Plants carry beneficial bacteria of their own. Most of the reputable sources of commercially available aquarium plants are not going to be selling you plants that will be dangerous. Treating plants with chemicals strips them of the BB they had. I do not, however, make trips out to ponds around my home and harvest plants for my aquaria. Some people do, I just don't. I'd consider that a dicey proposition.

Sometimes I rinse plants in tap water. Most often I don't. Every tank in my house (6 of them, and a planted bowl) grow so quickly that I have plenty of plants to continue to re-scape my tanks, and share with a friend.

I have never heard a firsthand account of a tank crashing and the livestock dying due to something that came in on a plant from a reputable commercial source.

While I agree that the risk of a disease being carried on a plant are minimal, the chances of a plant harboring hitchhikers are pretty good. Pond snails are a great and common example. I would up with a leech infestation thanks to plants from chain retailer that resulted in complete dismantling, sterilization and recycling of a 55g- twice. It also resulted in septicemia in one of my favorite, expensive fish from leech bites (he was eventually euthanized). I do not wish this horror and expense on anyone and now heavily disinfect AND qt any new plant. Lesson learned.

If you dont want to disinfect, then (at the very least) qt the plants for a couple of weeks.

Ok. I guess it's better to disinfect them than to end up with something like that. Thanks :)

Oh, and plants would be ok in the tank before and during the cycle I'm guessing... Right?

Ok thanks. Yeah I'm going to do a fish less cycle. If I get any fry before I get the goldfish, I'll use it for a fry tank for the first few months and then get the goldfish. After the cycle

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but how about tank size for shunbunkins (sp?) and commons? I know they do best in ponds, but how about a 200 gallon tank? My dad might be getting a tank from a friend, and I was wondering if some bigger goldfish would be an option?

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but how about tank size for shunbunkins (sp?) and commons? I know they do best in ponds, but how about a 200 gallon tank? My dad might be getting a tank from a friend, and I was wondering if some bigger goldfish would be an option?

What exactly do you have in mind? Shubunkins and commons both grow big. Fancies also have the potential to grow big as well. The largest fancy on record is over 17inches, to give you a better idea (he was pond raised). If you are able to get a hold of a 200g, you definitely have options! :)

What exactly do you have in mind? Shubunkins and commons both grow big. Fancies also have the potential to grow big as well. The largest fancy on record is over 17inches, to give you a better idea (he was pond raised). If you are able to get a hold of a 200g, you definitely have options! :)

Well, it was just an idea... Don't really have it all figured out. I was thinking maybe a lightly planted with some small smooth stones and maybe some driftwood... And some shubunkins or commons or comets. I don't know how many or if that would work though. I just really like the body shape of these goldfish so I wondered if it was an option :)

With a 200g, its definitely possible though they will destroy plants. They are quite bit harder on them than fancies. As long as you limit your stocking, it should be manageable. Trust me, those little guys you see in the store grow big (and fairly quickly too). :)

Ok lol good to know :) guess I won't be planting the tank if I do this then :p what would you suggest for stocking? How many gallons per fish?

Back
Top Bottom