Goldfish temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
68-74f is an ideal range. As they are cool water fish, tropical temps (high 70's+) are not appropriate for ideal health.

The bottom range of the recommended aquarium temp - 65. Pond fish can take it colder, but they are outside in a pond.

Fantails are kept in ponds as well as aquaria.

The bottom range of the recommended aquarium temp - 65. Pond fish can take it colder, but they are outside in a pond.

Fantails are kept in ponds as well as aquaria.
Bottom line for aquarium would be 60. For a pond, lower then 45 can become a danger. As long as it doesn't freeze or close to that.

Bottom line for aquarium would be 60. For a pond, lower then 45 can become a danger. As long as it doesn't freeze or close to that.

I think ponders up north who use automatic de-icers in the winter to keep a hole in the ice open for gas exchange might disagree with you.

60f for home aquaria is quite chilly. Its also detrimental to your bb which function at a 50% diminished capacity at temps below 65f, greater than 75% diminished capacity in the 50's. Quite a few us of us have ponds in areas that freeze/snow and the temps do drop well below 45f. De-icers are standard equipment to keep an area open.

I think ponders up north who use automatic de-icers in the winter to keep a hole in the ice open for gas exchange might disagree with you.
I don't have much experience in farenheit calculations as we use celsius here. What I am saying is the water shouldn't be freezing where they are or close to that. Not saying that its impossible or shouldn't be done:)

Last edited:
My son recently unplugged the heater for the aquarium and the water temp dipped down to 62 with the Goldfish and Cories in there. They all seemed ok, it was morning when I got home... the cories were sleeping and the Goldfish were swimming around as normal. Lol

At the moment I still have my tetras and harlequin in the tank with the goldfish. And before anyone starts in on me I know goldfish are bad for other fish and blah blah lol so until I get em moved over what would be a happy medium? Like safe for the other 3 and safe for the goldfish? It's at about 72 right now

I am guessing theres a heater? You can bump it up a bit to 74-75f. It will be on the higher side for the goldies and the lower side for the tropicals but its about as close to a happy medium for both as you can reasonably attain.

Yea I have the heater on and light off so it isn't Upping the temp as well lol everyone is swimming around like happy fish so I suppose it's all good :)

Back
Top Bottom