Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Goldfish with guppies

Hello. Iím not sure which forum is appropriate for this question so Iím submitting it twice.

Could I/should I put a tiny baby goldfish in my guppy tank? I came upon some eggs when cleaning my goldfish tank. In retrospect, I should have returned them to the tank and let nature take its course. Now I have one survivor about a month old and still remarkably small. I cannot put this little fighter back in the goldfish tank where heíd be a snack in a heartbeat. I feel sorry for him being alone in his tank. I doubt I could find a similar sized companion. My guppy tank currently has fry about his size Yes, I am a sentimental old fool. That aside, what might be best for the little goldfish?

Thank you.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Goldfish and guppies need different temperatures. Goldfish will do better in colder water while guppies need tropical temperatures.
Your guppy and its fry will also eventually become a snack for the goldfish when it gets bigger.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, Sara. I know a tropical tank wouldn’t be optimum and had intended that it be short term. I planned to relocate him with the other goldfish when he was larger and stood a chance to survive.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you can find a middle ground temp you should be fine. You could also just do larger water changes goldfish in warmer temps tend to create more "waste".
Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have to house them together id set the temp at 74 degrees. No higher and no lower than 72.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The goldfish will be fine at tropical temps. He will grow faster than if in colder temps so you can put him with his goldfish buddies sooner.

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, guppie, guppies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com