Goldfish with guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CDGQY

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I’m not sure which forum is appropriate for this question so I’m submitting it twice.

Could I/should I put a tiny baby goldfish in my guppy tank? I came upon some eggs when cleaning my goldfish tank. In retrospect, I should have returned them to the tank and let nature take its course. Now I have one survivor about a month old and still remarkably small. I cannot put this little fighter back in the goldfish tank where he’d be a snack in a heartbeat. I feel sorry for him being alone in his tank. I doubt I could find a similar sized companion. My guppy tank currently has fry about his size Yes, I am a sentimental old fool. That aside, what might be best for the little goldfish?

Thank you.

Goldfish and guppies need different temperatures. Goldfish will do better in colder water while guppies need tropical temperatures.
Your guppy and its fry will also eventually become a snack for the goldfish when it gets bigger.

Thanks, Sara. I know a tropical tank wouldn’t be optimum and had intended that it be short term. I planned to relocate him with the other goldfish when he was larger and stood a chance to survive.

If you can find a middle ground temp you should be fine. You could also just do larger water changes goldfish in warmer temps tend to create more "waste".

If you have to house them together id set the temp at 74 degrees. No higher and no lower than 72.

The goldfish will be fine at tropical temps. He will grow faster than if in colder temps so you can put him with his goldfish buddies sooner.

Back
Top Bottom