Goldfish with red anus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after I did my water change today I noticed one of my gold fishes *** was dark pinkish red. He or she is acting normal as usual. It's been eating and swimming normally. Should I be worried?

60gal 2 goldfish.

Sorry no water test. Just did a 90 percent water change so there's no accurate reading atm.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440206824.013159.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440206845.205631.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440206861.544671.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440206877.152745.jpg

080215 Yopoipoi, rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

I wonder whether the redness around his vent is due to a low ph - I.e. acidic water conditions.

If you don't have a water testing kit, I recommend taking a water sample for testing to your local fish shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is that actually on the anus or near it? If actually on the anus this could be caused by over feeding or high protein diet. as goldfish have no stomach and their intestine can easily swell. If on the anus would recommend a day with no food than a day of a couple peas(thawed).
Also make sure your main pellet or flake is specifically for goldfish as in the wild these fish are mostly herbaceous.

If near the anus look for a .5-1cm protrusion as could be anchor worm.

Is that actually on the anus or near it? If actually on the anus this could be caused by over feeding or high protein diet. as goldfish have no stomach and their intestine can easily swell. If on the anus would recommend a day with no food than a day of a couple peas(thawed).
Also make sure your main pellet or flake is specifically for goldfish as in the wild these fish are mostly herbaceous.

If near the anus look for a .5-1cm protrusion as could be anchor worm.

I feed it sinking pellets. Even before then I soak the pellets in tank water before I put them in the tank. Saki hikari. How would I spot the anchor worm? How can I treat it? Thanks!

080215 Yopoipoi, rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

IMO anchor worm would be noticeable more then the redness?
I just linked some anchor worm info on this thread;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/help-is-this-a-parasite-340188.html
Personally I would look into internal worms(nematodes) or give gemachs plan a day or two to see.
Constipation could be an option.

I got a better picture. It seems to be worse than yesterday. The green stuff is the peas I fed her last night. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. She's acting normal. No change in behavior. I don't see any worms or anything. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440269451.481380.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440269471.687811.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440269487.529230.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440269530.300786.jpg

Is there any redness elsewhere - such as around the base of the fins where they connect to the body?

If so, it might be the ph issue, as acidic water can cause redness, particularly around the vent.

Are there any other fish in the tank? How are they?

Is there any redness elsewhere - such as around the base of the fins where they connect to the body?

If so, it might be the ph issue, as acidic water can cause redness, particularly around the vent.

Are there any other fish in the tank? How are they?

I only have two goldfish. The other one is fine. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary . No red spots or anything.

Only the ranchu has the red anus. I don't see any other visible red spots other than its anus. The ph is 7.2

I only have two goldfish. The other one is fine. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary . No red spots or anything.

Only the ranchu has the red anus. I don't see any other visible red spots other than its anus. The ph is 7.2

The ph is perfect - so that's definitely not the problem.

From the new pictures you posted leads me to believe digestive issues, common in gold fish.

Besides your normal pellet would suggest adding more plant matter to their diet. Some common methods:
Peas
Cut zucchini
Spiurlina algae containing foods

Cobalt offers probiotic foods I personally have never used them to state how well they work.

Some people state that need to pre wet the pellets cause air cause impacted intestines. I personally Have kept gold fish and koi since 2002 and never had this happen.

There are some recipes for fish colon cleanses involving mineral oil you can look up but again I've never used personally.

How's the little guy doing?

She's doing fine thanks so much for asking!! The swelling and redness still seems the same though. But she's acting normal. Thank you so much can for asking xD

She's doing fine thanks so much for asking!! The swelling and redness still seems the same though. But she's acting normal. Thank you so much can for asking xD

This might start an argument, but a small amount of aquarium salt might help it heal faster. Read the container for the amount to add for your amount of gallons, can do a half dose if unsure. I don't use many medications on my goldfish and have found adding small amounts of salt beneficial in the past when injured.

This might start an argument, but a small amount of aquarium salt might help it heal faster. Read the container for the amount to add for your amount of gallons, can do a half dose if unsure. I don't use many medications on my goldfish and have found adding small amounts of salt beneficial in the past when injured.

+1

Aquarium salt at 0.3% of tank volume can't do any harm.

I will try that thank you!

She died yesterday T-T . I think she was pregnant not sure tho T-T

080215 Yopoipoi
090115 Puffs
rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

She died yesterday T-T . I think she was pregnant not sure tho T-T

080215 Yopoipoi
090115 Puffs
rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

I'm sorry to hear :(

Back
Top Bottom