Goldies and cories together in harmony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey does anyone else have a community tank with either goldfish and cories, or Koi and cories? If so, Im curious to see what your setup is like.

I know Panda Cories are fine in cooler water. Most are, in fact.
You would only want to keep them with fancy goldfish though.

I know Panda Cories are fine in cooler water. Most are, in fact.
You would only want to keep them with fancy goldfish though.

Why is that? Mine are not fancy, and they are actually very good swimmers.

I think you probably are not going to find many other goldfish keepers mixing tropicals and goldies in the same tank.

What size tank do you have? If your goldfish aren't fancies, are you keeping comets or commons in an aquarium?

A long time ago I kept an oranda in a tank that had an oto. Oto had died a some point and before I could remove it, I found it head first in the orandas mouth!
Point of the story, even lifeless, catfish in general can pose a threat because of the spines found on the pectoral and dorsal fins. Removing the oto was a painful experience for me and the goldfish. Required needle nose pliers and reminded me of catch-and-release fishing.

I think you probably are not going to find many other goldfish keepers mixing tropicals and goldies in the same tank.

What size tank do you have? If your goldfish aren't fancies, are you keeping comets or commons in an aquarium?

One common, and one comet in a 20Gal, they're not big yet... but by summer I'm thinking of getting a 29 Gal and adding a loach or a shubunkin maybe both.

One common, and one comet in a 20Gal, they're not big yet... but by summer I'm thinking of getting a 29 Gal and adding a loach or a shubunkin.

Oh good heavens.

If you are going to upgrade and add another fish, then you need to go straight to a minimum 100 gallon, and a pond would be better.

Comets, commons, and shubunkins each need at least 50 gallons per fish.

When I first got into the hobby, I had 2 common's with 3 peppered cories in my 28. They did just fine, I kept the temperature at the higher end of the goldfish's and they did fine!

I only had them together for 3 months before rehoming the goldies though. I knew the tank was too small for them so I sent them away to a friends pond.

Oh good heavens.

If you are going to upgrade and add another fish, then you need to go straight to a minimum 100 gallon, and a pond would be better.

Comets, commons, and shubunkins each need at least 50 gallons per fish.

Wow haha, I honestly don't have the space for that. I thought that type of space was for bigger Goldies and kois. :hide:

When I first got into the hobby, I had 2 common's with 3 peppered cories in my 28. They did just fine, I kept the temperature at the higher end of the goldfish's and they did fine!

I only had them together for 3 months before rehoming the goldies though. I knew the tank was too small for them so I sent them away to a friends pond.

Yeah they're doing well, I keep the temp at 72, which is good for both species.

Yeah! But honestly, what is truly recommended is 30 gallons or the first Goldy, 10 gallons more for each additional fancy goldfish.
That's for just them, without any other inhabitants, and that's honestly on the low end of things, they really should have more space.
Most of the reason I don't keep them anymore, if I had space for a 75+ gallon tank I would make it a tropical tank instead of only having 3-5 goldfish in it.

Wow haha, I honestly don't have the space for that. I thought that type of space was for bigger Goldies and kois. :hide:

Bigger goldfish ARE commons, comets and shubunkins.

It would have been so much better for the fish if you had done the research prior to buying a tank and plunking them in. I may be wrong, but I suspect you do Google searches for all sorts of stuff every day.

Bigger goldfish ARE commons, comets and shubunkins.

It would have been so much better for the fish if you had done the research prior to buying a tank and plunking them in. I may be wrong, but I suspect you do Google searches for all sorts of stuff every day.

That would be correct, one my son won at a bazaar, and the other I bought to keep the 1st company. They went from a 1/2 gal to a 2.5 gal to a 10 gal to a 20 gal. I do use google but decided this forum would be interactive and more informational for this sort of stuff... with that said, I'm really leaning towards a 55 gal but that's all I would have room for.

That would be correct, one my son won at a bazaar, and the other I bought to keep the 1st company. They went from a 1/2 gal to a 2.5 gal to a 10 gal to a 20 gal. I do use google but decided this forum would be interactive and more informational for this sort of stuff... with that said, I'm really leaning towards a 55 gal but that's all I would have room for.

Then you really should rehome these fish to a pond, and get 3 fancies after you cycle that 55 gallon tank.

Then you really should rehome these fish to a pond, and get 3 fancies after you cycle that 55 gallon tank.

Well I don't have a pond, and I don't like "fancy" Goldfish, so I can't see that happening. :nono:

Well I don't have a pond, and I don't like "fancy" Goldfish, so I can't see that happening. :nono:

So what do you plan to do with them? They are going to need a much larger tank than that 55 within 6 months to a year At the absolute max depending on what size they are currently. You're going to have to do water changes at minimum of every other day and eventually they will be so big that they will look like a German shepherd in a dog crate. I'm Sorry if this comes off as a lecture, but the myth that fish only grow to the size of their tank is completely false and you need to have a plan in place before they get to that size.

Back
Top Bottom