Goldy swims sideways on occasion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penjet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all.
Have two goldfish in aquarium, water quality/levels are good.

The fancy golden occasionally swims sideways (see vid, about 15 sec in).

This same (2 yo) fish had a bump about 6 months ago on one side, that seemed to spontaneously disappeared (became flat and lost color, then just disappeared altogether).

It has (in past) also floated on the surface with its dorsal fins on the surface of the aquarium.

This behavior has not been consistent, as it will occasionally occur, then seem to pass.

Any thoughts?

goldy swims sideways on occasion - YouTube

My goldfish do his ALL the time and are supper heathly and happu. I wouldnt worry too much about them goin sideways to turn themselvea around :)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello all.
Have two goldfish in aquarium, water quality/levels are good.

The fancy golden occasionally swims sideways (see vid, about 15 sec in).

This same (2 yo) fish had a bump about 6 months ago on one side, that seemed to spontaneously disappeared (became flat and lost color, then just disappeared altogether).

It has (in past) also floated on the surface with its dorsal fins on the surface of the aquarium.

This behavior has not been consistent, as it will occasionally occur, then seem to pass.

Any thoughts?

goldy swims sideways on occasion - YouTube

Hi! Can you please provide us with some more information so that we can better help?

Tank size? Parameters? Water change schedule (%/# wk)? Exact diet (brand/type food, other foods, treats, etc)? Are the symptoms random or more obvious within a few hours of a meal? Has this been a reoccurring issue since his purchase or only more recently? Thanks!

JLK-Goldy swims sideways

JLK

I think its a 30g
2 fluval hanging 30g sized filters (sponges, prefilter media)
long air stone along the back
pH ~7.8
NH3,4: 0 to <0.2ppm
NO2: 0
NO3: 0 to < 3.0ppm
30-50% water change weekly

floating pellets, tetra sinking pellets, skinned peas

Symptoms seem random (not a traceable pattern).
Some days seem worse than others-- in the video it appears to be a turnaround-- but sometimes it swims upside-down or sideways on the bottom of the tank for several seconds. It occasionally floats to the top with its dorsal on the surface...but never does it for an extremely long time (always seems to right itself at some point).

Thank you very much!

Although there is not a miracle cure for buoyancy issues in goldfish, making sure water conditions are pristine and feeding a diet that helps to mitigate buoyancy problems are the two things everyone can do to help. Your water sounds fine as does your care routine but adding an extra wc every week may help bit.

Diet though definitely needs some overhaul. No more floating or freeze dried-type of foods. I suggest switching everyone over to a gelfood if possible. Repashy or Mazuri are excellent commercial brands but you can also make gelfoods yourself. If this is absolutely not an option, switch to a quality sinking food such as Hikari Saki, Progold or NLS and soak the pellets briefly before feeding. Tetra foods are the equivalent of McDonalds for fish and are full of fillers and poor quality ingredients that aggravate buoyancy problems.

Lastly, add daily veggies, edible plants and occasional fruits into their diet. In natural environments, goldfish consume over 80% of their diet in algae and greens. Although we can not exactly duplicate this, the closer we can approximate this, the healthier and happier our fish will be.

I think you will some improvement and noticeably less buoyancy issues with some simple changes! It's not a 'cure' but your fish will be happier overall. Please ask any questions! :)

JLK- you mentioned making gel foods yourself. Is there a preferred methodology or thread with detailed directions on how to do this?

I am afraid I do not have anything posted recently that I can recall off the top of my head. I am kind of a mad scientist when I whip up food and use what I have available. That used to be a great site that had detailed instructions along with exact breakdowns for fat, calories, protein, etc but it disappeared two years ago. Not sure what happened.

Very basically, you need a protein source and veggies plus something to hold it together (gelatin or agar agar). Extras added are a big plus.

Good protein sources are salmon, mackerel, any basic white fish (flounder, tilapia, cod, etc). Some recipes use bloodworms or earthworms as a protein source. Combos of proteins can be used too. Egg yolk is another good one. Some seafood is fine such as shrimp, clams or crab but in limited amounts. Same goes for tuna due to possible heavy metal content.

Veggies such as spinach, kale, turnip greens, peas, broccoli, carrots and sweet peppers (etcetc) are all great. Carrots and red peppers are natural color enhancers. Some fruits can be added as well but not in excess. Some people use puréed baby food veggies (meant for human babies).

Extras are garlic, paprika, spirulina, multi vitamins, probiotics, vitamin C, fish oil, etc. Everything I use is human grade foods and vitamins that are thrown in food processor until 100% puréed. Gelatin (always use extra) is then dissolved and mixed into the purée. The food will set to firm overnight in the fridge and can be cut into cubes for feeding. I freeze most of it in flat sheets for future use.

Ok, not exactly 'directions' per say! Do some research first to get a general feel for how different people make gelfoods and what they use. Utube has quite a collection of videos. Kokos goldfish likely has a collection of gelfood recipes as well but it sometimes helps to see people actually making the food.

A super simple quick recipe for me would be something like this:

1 small can salmon in water (add liquid too)**
1/2 cup peas (defrosted)
1/2 cup spinach (defrosted)
Tsp chopped garlic
2 egg yolks
2 multi vitamin (crushed)
5 probiotic capsules
1-2 vitamin c
1-2 tbsp spirulina/powdered bloodworms/brine shrimp/nori

Purée. If too thick to purée, add tiny amounts of tank or distilled water. If very soupy or watery, add additional spirulina (or other powder). It should well mixed and thick milkshake consistency. Dissolve 1-2 packs plain gelatin in a small amount of water and purée this in. Place in flat pan of some sort to set. Makes around 1-2cups liquid food. **add more protein for fry/youngsters, more veggies for mature adults

This is not exact but an approximation as I usually make larger batches using big cans whole salmon/other proteins, bags of veggies and whatever else I can find in the kitchen. But hopefully it will give you a general idea to experiment from! And I am likely forgetting things! Feel free to ask any questions and do not be intimidated-it's much easier than it sounds! :)

Back
Top Bottom