Good quality food for fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering what brands and prepared foods are considered good for fancy goldfish. I currently use a mix Tetra Gold Japan sinking pellets and New Era sinking pellets. Looking for suggestions to mix it up for my goldies. I have tried other pellets in the Tetra Gold range but they all float. So just sinking pellet suggestions. I feed live,frozen and veg too. But want more variety in the way of good quality sinking pellets

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ooops just realised thread in wrong section. Cheers I feed my subtropical fish hikari pellets. Didn't know they do goldfish food too.

My petco always has a bunch in stock, they usually hang on their own little section thingy. Haha hope that helps!

Most of your threads are about your goldfish, how bout some pictures? ;)

This is most expensive one Ambrosius my grade B Calico Ryukin.

Attachments

• 1422147688099.jpg
    1422147688099.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 91
Is that what the shiny scales are called. I have a calico fantail that has a few scales like that and I paid like 3pound for her. She's fast I'll try get a pic

Hard to get a clear PIC that's Hoggle. The black moor in the background is Ludo he looks small in the PIC but his 6inches long. His also disabled got a cleft lip I adopted him he was living in a tiny tank about 10cms bigger than he was. Excuse the sponge bob theme my variatus platy Rodney is attached to Squidworth house so until he lives out his lifespan i can't get rid of them.

Attachments

• 1422148269802.jpg
    1422148269802.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 84
BTW back on topic the brands I'm using are they good ones what's the best quality brand?

I would say Hikari again. Omega one is also good. Live or frozen foods will help you out a lot too :)

Anacharis and duckweed are cool plants that goldies love eating. Plus the grow fast enough to have some in the tank at all times.

Fluval and nutrafin max are the best

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know you said something along the lines of a prepared pellet but have you tried repashy? It's a really good veggie based food for them and doesn't take too much time or effort to prepare.

Read ingredients. Many have a ton of fillers. The better foods have better ingredients.

Repashy is good.
Omega One is good IMHO

I also recommend feeding veggies and greens.

If you feed enough veggies and greens to your goldfish you can also manage to keep some live plants in their tank which can help with the water quality as well.

How much to do you use per GF and how often?

They seem to eat all that you give them.

I feed twice a day. I use to feed 3 times a day when they were under 1yr old.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

EM, thanks for your response.

I am curious from the rest of the group what the recommended frequency and amount for feeding per goldfish? As mentioned in last post, they will simply eat everything you give them, so wondering what is needed.

Well when I first got my two goldies I feed once a day. Then jlk told me it was a starvation diet and that babies need small regular meals I started feeding 3 times a day and they grew bigger and bigger. I don't think they would have, had I stuck to feeding once a day. I only feed twice a day now cause all are over a year old, apart from one. The juvenile is getting a good share of the food. I feed two pinches of sinking pellets twice aday, I have 6 goldies. If I feed live,frozen food that counts as a meal so they would only get 1 (2pinch) of sinking pellet meal that day. I feed veggies several times a week. I don't count veg as a meal.

How much to do you use per GF and how often?

They seem to eat all that you give them.

I think this would be hard to do give a certain number of pellets or flake per goldfish. As my fantails are faster than my moors they would eat more. I just make sure I give a generous portion that everyone gets a share even if the fantails eat a bit more of that share

I've actually heard every other day. Right now, I have 1 14yr old GF about 6" long and currently feed 2 times a day. First, 1 pinch of flakes, and a then later a pinch (3 or 4) freeze dried shrimp. I told my wife, that may be a bit much. Just the shrimp might be enough.

I've actually heard every other day. Right now, I have 1 14yr old GF about 6" long and currently feed 2 times a day. First, 1 pinch of flakes, and a then later a pinch (3 or 4) freeze dried shrimp. I told my wife, that may be a bit much. Just the shrimp might be enough.

I think a fasting day once in a blue moon is good for them. Personally I treat blood worms and shrimp as a treat. The high protein content I heard isn't good for goldies esp black moor. I also throw algae wafers in as a treat too occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom