GPH flow for goldfish tank????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I have some questions regarding gph flow for my ryukin goldie tank.
I have been having issues with fin rot on my 2 goldies, and after doing some research, am wondering of I have enough filtration on this tank.

Tanks is 50 gallons, stocked with 2 young ryukins (both about 2 inches in body length), 2 gold dojo loaches (apx 3.5 inches each) and 5 white cloud mountain minnows.

I run an eheim 2215 canister filter, rated up to 90 gallons, and according to them, the flow rate runs at 163 gallons per hour. Test weekly with API master kit, ammo 0, trite, 0, trates 10-20, ph 8.0 (normal for here). 50% PWC weekly.

I have been treating them for nearly a week now with API General Cure, with 48 hour large water changes and re-dose, and my ammo has risen to between 0 and .25, which I did expect with treatment, but I am doing large water changes and dosing prime to keep in check. Fish all seem to be doing fine with treatment.

I have heard that goldies should have up to 10x gph for thier tank size, so essentially I should be running 500 gph??????

I am wondring if maybe the fin rot is due to not enough filtration. My params are always spot on, but maybe the low gph is just not enough for goldies???? What does everyone else out there with fancies use for filtration?

You need a minimum of 10 times tank volume in gallons per hour. So yes, 500 gph. You can add another filter...then in the event of failure of one, you have a problem, but not a crisis (since they usually fail, IME, when all the stores are closed).

I always run a suitably sized sponge filter in all my tanks in case of power failure. Then, I haul out the handy-dandy battery operated air pump.

ETA: fin rot is usually caused by problems with water quality. That can be due to filtration, but more often, it's because water isn't changed frequently enough, or the water changes are too small. Before my goldfish went to the pond, I changed at least 50%, three times weekly.

It's different when you are talking canisters. The API Nexx canister that I've considered is only like 160 gph but is rated by API for a 55 gallon tank. If you purchase the expansion it goes up to only like 200 gph but is rated for a 110 tank. My HOBs currently cycle 600ish gph in my 55 gallon goldfish tank. I have pristine water and very happy fish. Do they even make canisters that'll get you 500 gph? I've never seen one in stores. And I doubt that 200 gallon saltwater tanks have canisters rated at 2000 gph.

Realize that most manufacturers grossly overrate their filters. A filter 'suggested' for a 55g is likely suitable for a simple tropical tank but not for a messy goldfish tank or a heavily stocked cichlid tank. They make canisters in any capacity you desire just don't expect to find them in your local lfs. You also can not compare sw to fw filtration systems as they are completely different playing fields.

I run over 1200gph between big hobs and powerheads on my 55's that are understocked by the ridiculous 20/10 goldfish notion. And I do 100% wcs bi-weekly. Most breeders either run huge filtration systems or they do the complete opposite- they do not even bother with cycling as they change 100% of the water daily.

Back
Top Bottom