Grey Heron Attack !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mahaseer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

After three years of peace in my little outdoor pond/deer watering hole, a great blue/grey heron decended and ate every last one of 72 gold fish. (Yes, many of them had names :cry: . ) Initially I was upset , but after a few days of checking the pond out early in the morning with a shotgun in hand I've concluded that the heron was only doing what herons are supposed to do.

Can someone please advise me as to how to prevent a recurrence. I have thought of covering the surface with chicken wire mesh but if he returns, he'll probably damage his beak trying to get at the new fish thru the wire.

Thank you

THat or a netting would probably work. I have seen such a net for sale at the Home Depot. You could also use this net as a cover to keep leaves out.

The nets work, but I only use them for leaves, my Heron attacks have not been that bad. I never lost all of them! Also, You may consider putting in some rockpiles or sunken driftwood. This will give your fish places to hide, the smarter fish will learn, the dumb ones will be dinner! I also think the nets are too intrusive, I like my pond to look natural.

Another method I've heard is to string up fishing line around your pond, about 1 foot away, and 6 inches high, using stakes. (hope that description is clear enough). Supposedly, Herons must land on land, and walk into the water, and they don't like the fishing line tripping them up. I have never tried this, as I am a klutz, and would surely trip over it myself!

Back
Top Bottom