guppy vs mosquito fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
which is better?
the mosquito fish breeds more, but, its more aggressive and needs more aquarium space and is less colorful.
But, the guppy is more sensitive, more easily disease ridden, in-bred, and breeds less.

I probably like the mosquito fish better mostly because I've kept them longer. If you feed them live food or high quality flake/frozen food they will develop a greenish sheen.

nether is better there just different, everyone has there own taste
if your using them for feeders the mosquito fish are winners but the guppies look a hell of a lot nicer in my opinion
then you could add endlers to the choices

if your using them for feeders the mosquito fish are winners but the guppies look a hell of a lot nicer in my opinion
I agree, I've kept all three. But a nice thing about mosquito fish is that they're free were I live and they and get some good color.:)

I've kept those fish for many years as well both gambusia affinis and gambusia holbrooki. But I've kept those separate from other fish... For the problem with mosquito fish is that they tend to nip fins...

But wildtype guppies are very hardy as well in comparison to fancy guppies...

I've kept mosquito fish in a small outdoor pond for the last few years for mosquito control and they have survived the winters in VA (even under a sheet of ice for a few weeks). Unfortunately I cannot really appreciate how nice they look from a "pond view". They do a decent job blending into the background. I have been thinking about bringing a few indoors this fall but the fin nipping and aggressiveness is a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If we're talkin looks, endler's do beat all haha

I'm looking to do same really leaning to the mosquito side

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 10gal soon to be planted shrimp/snail/endler breeder tank , 56gal soon to be a planted angel tank or Dwarf Puffer tank

yea in the end, I think mosquito fish are better (though territorial)

Well I'll be taking 3 to 4 out to feed oscar so lol that will keep #s nice lol

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 10gal soon to be planted shrimp/snail/endler breeder tank , 56gal soon to be a planted angel tank or Dwarf Puffer tank

Well I'll be taking 3 to 4 out to feed oscar so lol that will keep #s nice lol

have you ever tried feeding your oscar a cicada??? its rather interesting, especially when its a male cicada that makes that weird noise lol

Lol no but that's an idea lol

Back
Top Bottom