Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Having trouble with NO2 and NO3

Ive just finished a 7 week cycle on my tank. Waited a week to put a small Fan Tail. He/She has been in the tank now 4 days. Im having trouble keeping the bacteria levels down. No ammonia. Is that why the bacteria is going crazy. Ive done 2 50% water changes and no luck. Goes down for maybe half a day. What shold i do? Really need help before the fish is stressed.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGuzinski View Post
Ive just finished a 7 week cycle on my tank. Waited a week to put a small Fan Tail. He/She has been in the tank now 4 days. Im having trouble keeping the bacteria levels down. No ammonia. Is that why the bacteria is going crazy. Ive done 2 50% water changes and no luck. Goes down for maybe half a day. What shold i do? Really need help before the fish is stressed.
I'm confused?

You don't want bacteria levels down, you want them high.
You don't want ammonia, you want 0.

What bacteria is going crazy? why are you doing the big water changes? What goes down for half a day?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry. I was under the impression might be mistaken but i thought you needed low levels of NO3 and no NO2. I did the water changes cause the test off the chart. Both bacteria is back with in half a day after the water change
Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sorry. I was under the impression might be mistaken but i thought you needed low levels of NO3 and no NO2. I did the water changes cause the test off the chart. Both bacteria is back with in half a day after the water change
Ammonia, NH3
Nitrite, NO2-
Nitrate, NO3-

These are not bacteria, but rather compounds that bacteria produce.

In a cycled tank you would want:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0-60 is fine, but the lower the better, no need to freak out if levels are 5-20ppm, that is just fine.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

My NO2 and 3 are off the chart. Dont know whay this is happening. How do i control?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

What sized tank? Only thing to do is large water changes to keep NO2 down. Tank isn't fully cycled if there is NO2 present

Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

NO2 was gone for 4 days before i put the fish in. Ive been testing 2x a day just to see how long it will take the fish to create ammonia. I didnt have any NO2 for the first 2 days if the fish being in the tank. I have a 10 gallon. I know its small for fancy goldfish. I found one the was tinny about 1/2 inch. I plan on upgrading to a 30 gallon in a few months.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like the amount of BB that developed in your tank during fishless cycle was insufficient to deal with the extra load,

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any suggestions on what to do? Water changes? This is my first tank. I already made the mistake of putting fish in an uncycled tank. Am i doing something wrong? Really dont want to start over
Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Any suggestions on what to do? Water changes? This is my first tank. I already made the mistake of putting fish in an uncycled tank. Am i doing something wrong? Really dont want to start over
Water changes. Keep the nitrites low and your fish should be fine. Eventually the tank will cycle and you can get by with normal water changes.

Tags
trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com