Help for a newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great advice offered above! :)

Yep, that's an underground filter (UGF). Toss it, put it in a closet or give it to someone else. UGFs do not work with messy fish, especially goldfish, and it will haunt you until its removed. Speaking from experience on this one! Invest in a hefty canister as suggested as you will need it with these guys. The coral definitely looks potentially dangerous.

Sand is fine but it needs to be rinsed very well before using. Please ask any questions!! :)

Can you please explain what 'means the same thing' if you are referring to another thread?

Nitrifying bacteria do not survive temperatures below 40f. Irrelevant what strain they may be. There is no logical reason to bring in filter media full of dead bacteria. However, we do not know if there is even a filter. Let's please give the OP a chance to respond before jumping to conclusions. :)

Really? Then how does the nitrogen cycle work in spring as water temperatures increase after winter?

They die at 32F (0C) i.e if they freeze. They are inactive below 39F (4C) but not dead. Length of survival will depend on the particular strain.

Really? Then how does the nitrogen cycle work in spring as water temperatures increase after winter?

They die at 32F (0C) i.e if they freeze. They are inactive below 39F (4C) but not dead. Length of survival will depend on the particular strain.

The nitrogen cycle in the spring in a manmade pond works the same as it does in a tank. It slowly kicks into gear and eventually cycles as the temperature increases. This is why people have such issues with 'green water' in their ponds every spring and dump a bunch of chemicals in hopes of 'fixing' the problem. Its simply the result of an imbalance as the nitrogen cycle re-establishes itself and photoperiods increase and strengthen. My pond has ammonia in it now but its not a concern due to the low temperature and ph and it recycles every spring but this is mitigated with a hefty addition of plants and utilizing my tanks inside. Let's please stick to the OP's questions and concerns so she can receive the help she needs. :)

I was merely correcting misinformation which could lead to mismanagement of the OP's fishs' environment, so it is relevant.

No nitrification will take place below 4C, but the bacteria do not die. If they did, then there would be no nitrogen cycle in the spring.

Your advice on undergravel filtration is also misleading - this lady has purchased a tank with a filter, which with correct maintenance, provides a massive surface area for nitrification and you tell her to bin it because you had a poor experience with the same type. Millions of people had very good results (and many still do) with undergravel filters!

LGrace - if you would like advice on how to maintain this cheap and efficient filtration equipment, please let me know. I had 13 years of looking after many stock tanks in an aquatic store that were all run on this type and maintained like any home aquarium. This meant that the fish I sold were well suited to the home aquaria I sold them into - both tropical and coldwater.

I will be happy to peruse any scientific literature that you can provide that states nitrifying bacteria can survive being frozen. Specifically strains of fw nitrifying bacteria that are relevant to our tanks and ponds and not some exotic strain that has been discovered in the Arctic Circle.

UGFs are outdated and the filtration technology available presently continues to steadily improve making UGF utility and practicality quite limited. The science behind UGFs is solid and strictly as biological filtration, they are perfectly functional. However, they lack any mechanical or fine filtration or options for chemical filtration.

With heavy bioload, messy fish, UGF functionality becomes limited very quickly and there is no simple means for cleaning the accumulating filth underneath plates without ripping a tank completely apart. Nitrate levels escalate rapidly due to the filth and plants are not practical option due to their roots clogging the plates. Sand or any fine substrate is not possible either as well as any decor that block plates resulting in 'dead' areas.

The negatives far outweigh the positives in respect to UGFs. Modern technology offers much greater convenience and practicality in addition to not limiting substrate, decor, fish or plant options.

Back
Top Bottom