Help for a total newbie to ponds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, a bit too chilly for the flagfish, but gambusia and goldfish should both do well. I do strongly recommend either a heater for winter or bringing the fish indoors when it gets really cold.
Remember, you don't need to keep them warm, just keep them from freezing.

What about the ice fans you can get to keep the water moving? If I keep the water moving the goldfish will make it don't you think??

Alspond said:
I avoid Koi because the tend to eat water lilies.
I like koi and I like goats
I wouldn't put a goat in my veritable garden.

If you want water lilies, goldfish are fine. The shubunkins come in all colors and some have long lacy fins.

If only my Koi ate water lilies, I wouldn't have to pay someone to thin the lilies out!

I do not know what an ice fan is. But consider this. Rapidly moving water at 31 degrees may not freeze right away, but it's still cold enough to kill.
They make floating heaters and submersible heaters specifically for wintering ponds.

Honestly, your in Md and I live further north than you. Overly concerned people in my area may use a de-icer on their ponds in a bad winter, but most use nothing other than making sure the pond doesnt freeze over. Goldfish and koi do just fine. Trying to heat a large pond would be not be worth the expense or be very practical in my opinion but if cost is a non-issue, they make heaters suitable for pond use.

The biggest advantage to a de-icer is that it doesn't freeze, even temporarily. A solid ice top traps gasses and can poison the fish. Some people use a pot of boiling water to melt a hole, which is ok as a temporary fix, but it freezes again. Breaking a hole can cause concussive vibrations that will severely damage a fish's auditory systems. Now, if you have a strong waterfall or fountain, it may never freeze completely, which is cool. But a de-icer is a "better safe than sorry" measure IMHO.

Well then a de-icer fan is probably what I will go with and what about a pleco making it through the cold?(oh and money is a tight issue!!) lol I got
My current pond at Kmart where I work... It was 99.99 reduced to 29.99 -10% employee discount

What about the ice fans you can get to keep the water moving? If I keep the water moving the goldfish will make it don't you think??

Just let the pond freeze over. The goldfish will hibernate under the ice. But the pond has to be deep so it won't freeze all the way, and you always have to keep a hole in the ice to allow gas exchange. You can use an airstone or a pan for that. There are probably other, more efficient methods but they slip my mind.

Do you plan to start the project in spring or now before winter? Good luck with the pond. i've got my own 3100 gallon pond, starting stocking in spring. Post pics when it's done!

Oh, and if you want something for eating algae and debris on the bottom of the pond japanese trapdoor snails are they way to go. They'll survive the winter too. I have five in my pond and am going to get more before winter.

Back
Top Bottom