Help for a total newbie to ponds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ust bought a 700 gallon koolitron pond kit want some Goldie's but my question is what else?? I though about 3 maybe even 4 plecos and possible a koi *fingers crossed* but I don't just want Goldie's plecos etc what else can I put in it?

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Ust bought a 700 gallon koolitron pond kit want some Goldie's but my question is what else?? I though about 3 maybe even 4 plecos and possible a koi *fingers crossed* but I don't just want Goldie's plecos etc what else can I put in it?

And I'm truly new to this

A single pleco might work. You can't keep koi but maybe some shubinkin goldfish that look like koi.

Dear TenaciousTriggerFish,

Actually I would not put a pleco in with goldfish. Plecos have been known to go for the goldies' slime coat and some plecos think goldies are food. Shubukins are hearty like goldfish (they're in the same class as goldies) and come in a variety of butterfly, etc varieties. Think about some of them.
Chris

revchristinejday said:
Dear TenaciousTriggerFish,

Actually I would not put a pleco in with goldfish. Plecos have been known to go for the goldies' slime coat and some plecos think goldies are food. Shubukins are hearty like goldfish (they're in the same class as goldies) and come in a variety of butterfly, etc varieties. Think about some of them.
Chris

Well I have a 12" pleco in a fifty gallon that I don't have the heart to get rid of don't you think if well fed he will leave them alone?

Tenacious, what state are you in? The climate determines what species you can reasonably keep.
How deep is the pond?
Goldfish of various varieties are your best bet for an ornamental fish. However, there are other temperate options, depending on availability. As long as there is no way they could escape into a nearby waterway, mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) are like a codwater guppy that do well in ponds, though they enjoy fish fry as much as mosquito larvae.
p-89572-mosq-fish-22240.jpg

The American Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) is native to Florida and the southeatern US, and is a voracious algae eater. Kept a few juveniles in a ten gallon and never actually had to feed them. They kept the tank spotless.
1_bi.jpg

Depending on climate, you could try bitterlings, which come in a variety of colors and sizes.
Also, IF you can find them (big if) Rainbow Dace are a gorgeous temperate schooling minnow.
dace.jpg

You are somewhat limited by the size of the pond, but as long as your filtration is up to the task, there is no reason you can't have some gorgeous fish in there.

To cold for flagfish.
Gold fish can stand the cold just don't feed them when the water is below 55 degrees.
Their metabolism, slows too much for them to digest food.

Gambusia would work if you can find some colorful males( sort of marbled black and White)
I don't care for them in a big pond. I have them in big water garden pots and they do eat the Mosquitos

Of course you don't have any Mosquitos on the ES. :)

Al

Alspond said:
To cold for flagfish.
Gold fish can stand the cold just don't feed them when the water is below 55 degrees.
Their metabolism, slows too much for them to digest food.

Gambusia would work if you can find some colorful males( sort of marbled black and White)
I don't care for them in a big pond. I have them in big water garden pots and they do eat the Mosquitos

Of course you don't have any Mosquitos on the ES. :)

Al

We do...! We live right on the line... You know the ten minutes of land between the kent narrows bridge and the big bay bridge? It's called the pancake lol

1600 is the minimum for two koi. You need two koi as they are very social

Why no koi?

I avoid Koi because the tend to eat water lilies.
I like koi and I like goats
I wouldn't put a goat in my veritable garden.

If you want water lilies, goldfish are fine. The shubunkins come in all colors and some have long lacy fins.

Alspond said:
I avoid Koi because the tend to eat water lilies.
I like koi and I like goats
I wouldn't put a goat in my veritable garden.

If you want water lilies, goldfish are fine. The shubunkins come in all colors and some have long lacy fins.

Long fancy fins *like*

If your looking for some interesting pond fish with long fancy fins or odd colors, check out Rain Garden. Steve has hibunas, comets, wakins, watonai, shubunkins, & nympths (plus the fancies). Even if they are too expensive, it atleast gives you an idea of whats out there for ponds beyond common goldfish. :)

Rain Garden Goldfish

Back
Top Bottom