Help me!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have a black moor goldfish that was attacked by some plecos they were fine together untill one day i saw the plecos all over her and on her eyes. I put her in a hospital tank and her body is healing fine but she has lost both eyes from the attack. Will she be okay blind?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plecos and goldfish are generally a bad mix.

Fish have pretty good other senses so she may be able to get around blind but I would keep her by herself from now on.

What was the tank size, fish size, etc, in all of this?

I'd really like to know tank size. The only really aggressive species of pleco are the larger ones. Even then they had to be given the opportunity to do some damage like that.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It happened over night each pleco is about 6 inches it was two the black moor is about 8 in. and they were in a 55 gallon tank with a 10 in. Comet two 5 inch rainbows and a 5 inch featherfin catfish

I'd really like to know tank size. The only really aggressive species of pleco are the larger ones. Even then they had to be given the opportunity to do some damage like that.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Not true. Unfortunately, plecos and fancies are never a good mix, even based upon basic housing needs. Plecos snacking on slow (and in this case, visually impaired telescope) occurs quite frequently and often completely unexpectedly. It's a difficult lesson to learn on compatibility.

Lomeli, the best option for your moor is to keep him or her in their own tank, free of anything (no decor, substrate, etc). Some real plants in pots would be ok. Keep the water pristine to prevent infection and make sure you are feeding a nutritious diet with a good protein level to aid in quick healing. If you notice any issues, please let us know!

Your fish can happy quality of life without sight but you will need to make adjustments to help compensate (such as no decor, feeding in the same spot, covering filter intakes with sponge/foam to prevent injury, etc). Hope this helps a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you so much it is very helpful i will be selling the plecos to a local pet store and i will be making a special shallow pond for her

Well i know bristle nose only get around 4-5 inches my plecos were commons and both 6"+ you might be able to get away with it but to be safe you can move it

Back
Top Bottom