Heron deterent that doesn't small scenery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

My parents are looking for something to ensure that a heron doesn't get the fish in our new pond.
The trouble is they are being very fussy about the way it looks, which I guess is understandable given the amount of money they have spent trying to get the garden to look nice.

Here are the options we have thought about and they have not liked(!):

1) 'Scarecrow' - this is a very expensive (£80) device that squirts full garden hose pressure water onto anything that moves in the area it covers. One covered a 2 metre area (which wouldn't cover our pond) and the other covered too large area, about 20-30m (which would hose people walking along the public recreation ground (though that could be amusing until we started getting mass complaints) and anyone who walked down the bottom of the garden.

2) Electric fencing round the pond - my mum is against this because of what it looks like, but I think it sounds like maybe the only possibility, but only if it safe for the heron and would definately work - what are your thoughts on this option?

3) The traditional net - obviously this option was brought to us first and my parents were totally against it. My Dad reckons that herons only come at dawn so it would be safe to just have it on during the night, but I'm unsure since my boyfriend is sure he saw one around midday. It would be helpful to have your opinions on this as well...

Thanks for reading this and it would be nice if you have any suggestions for me or you can share what you do to overcome this problem.

Thanks.

Welcome Christina!

I agree, those options are not practicle in your situation.

here's one idea I've read about, but never tried. You put wooden stakes around the whole pond, 6 inches high, 6 inches out from the edge. tie a piece of heavy-duty fishing line around the stakes, essentially making a "trip wire" all the way around the pond. Herons always land on the ground, and then walk up to the pond to go fishing. they run into this fishing line when walking, which they do not understand or like, and it basically scares them off without hurting them at all.

I figured I'm too much of a klutz myself, and would end up tripping over the string and falling into my own pond. My Heron troubles have been sporadic, and all my pond fish are very cheap goldfish, so I've never tried any solutions (other than yelling at the birds the very few times I've actually seen them). Also, I now have a dog, so hopefeully he'll help scare away unwelcome visitors like the herons.

in a book it said you could use dogs. which'll be more then the scarecrow.

maybe you could get 2 of em on oposite sides and itll cover the pond?

yeah fishing line. i ehard birds dont like any rope/line touching their feet so they'll go away

I have heard or read or watched on tv somewhere... that you put up a fake heron... Herons don't like to share a pond with each other... if they fly over and see a heron already there they will keep on flying...

dragonflies? So a fake bird keeps dragonflies away??? I like dragonflies... They eat lots of small unwanted bugs

millipede said:
I have heard or read or watched on tv somewhere... that you put up a fake heron... Herons don't like to share a pond with each other... if they fly over and see a heron already there they will keep on flying...

this is exactly what I was going to suggest. :wink:

millipede said:
dragonflies? So a fake bird keeps dragonflies away??? I like dragonflies... They eat lots of small unwanted bugs

But the larva in the water can actually prey on fish fry. (from what I have read on line.)

Sorry, my post was confusing. I love dragonflies. The fake heron is tall and skinny, projecting over the water. One of my favorite dragonflies uses it as his perch, from which he launches his brutal attacks, decimating any flies in his radius.

As far as larva, I have never had a problem. There are a ton in my upper pond upwards of 2'(where there are no fish, they feast on mosquitos larva, etc.), and none can be found in the lower fish filled ponds. I imagine the goldies eat them before they are large enough to pose a problem.

Very late reply

I'm really sorry I'm saying this so late, but its got to be said (so better late than never); you all did a great job of replying with suggestions.

I haven't had time to reply yet (its been on the job list every day though) but my parents and I did carefully consider what all of you said.

Corvus corax's idea sounds very ingenious but we also decided that it wouldn't just be the heron that found the wire disturbing; we'd be tripping on it as well!

We have a dog, who might work to scare a heron away, but she spends all the time when we're not there (which is when we're most worried about the heron coming0) locked inside the house where she can't do her normal routine of running down the garden barking her head off!

We had seen the model herons in shops and thought about getting one, but they were quite expensive plus we recently went to Birdworld where their were loads of wild herons all coming down to share the food. Though I guess its different when their flying over and there is a solitary pond that would look attractive to them but doesn't because theres already someone there.

In the end we went for the water squirting thing, though I have to say this is not very friendly for the dog, cat, or me when I forget it is there! I just hope it does the job against the heron, it seems to....

Thanks again for your suggestions

I had a heron problem in February/March 2003. When I bought a false heron, the seller warned me I would have to change its position occasionally or the real heron would recognize that the other heron was only plastic. I didn't realize that "occasionally" was going to be every 15 minutes. After sitting on my roof observing for an hour or two, the heron correctly concluded that the other heron was not real. On to Plan B. What worked for us was the fishing line. We used very slender bamboo sticks 6 or 7 inches high. We put them right up around the edge of the pond, among the rocks and plants that surround the pond. Then we strung a fishing line from stick to stick. The reason this succeeds is that the heron's knees are backwards hinged and he/she cannot step over things. The heron must be able to wade into the water. He/she cannot step over any obstacle, not even a fishing line 6 inches off the ground. It seems to me that if you put the sticks anywhere but right around the edge of the pond, the heron could still land between the fishing line and the pond and could still wade into the water. I am new to this group, and I realize this reply is probably too late for the original writer, but I offer it in case it can help someone else.

Thanks Tarheel,

Late is fine, I'm just glad someone has actually used the fishing line trick and succeeded with it. I knew bird knees were backwards, but didn't realize this was the reason herons couldn't/wouldn't step over fishin' line.
Thanks for sharing, and Welcome to our humble board!

Just a very quick note as I have just got back from a three week holiday and have tons to do: any comments are appreciated anyway by me, but may also be practically useful now since the squirty thing has stop functioning!

Back
Top Bottom