Hot water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an aquaponics system outside with 7 comets in the 70 gallon tank. I keep it topped up, but even still I'm seeing temperatures as high as 90F last night. It was 83F this morning. I added two .5 litre bottles that were frozen and that resulted in about a 1 degree drop and the fish were hovering around the bottles, I think they were much more comfortable next to them. I topped off the tank this morning and changed an additional 10gallons of water and got temp down to 79F.

I can't afford to get/run a cooler. My tap water has a pH WAY too low to do any large water changes with it, so I bought two 1 gallon jugs and I have one in the freezer so I can use it as a cooler. The tank doesn't get much direct sunlight, but it is a solid black plastic and the sides get sunlight all day. I'm thinking of putting up a shade cloth to keep sun off the sides of the tank.

Any other ideas on how to keep the temperature lower?

If you got top to your tank make sure it stays open so Air can circulate also you could try adding a fan or two so it blows on the surface this will help cool things down and carry on using the frozen bottles of water

Your Warm Water Tank

Hello en...

Hopefully, you at least have some type of cover for the tank to keep algae under control. For fish, I'd suggest Zebra Danios. This species is the most tolerant of extremely warm water. This way you won't have to worry so much about the water temperature.

B

Hello en...

Hopefully, you at least have some type of cover for the tank to keep algae under control. For fish, I'd suggest Zebra Danios. This species is the most tolerant of extremely warm water. This way you won't have to worry so much about the water temperature.

B

This is an outdoor tank that I am growing vegetables with, so I need the goldfish for their very high bioload and the ability to hibernate over winter. They're getting by, they just get lethargic at the higher temperature and that affects their nitrate production.
I placed two boards around the tank to keep the direct sunlight off the sides (why didn't I think of that earlier?) So hopefully that will help.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you got top to your tank make sure it stays open so Air can circulate also you could try adding a fan or two so it blows on the surface this will help cool things down and carry on using the frozen bottles of water

The "tank" is a 70 gallon rubbermaid agricultural tub, so it is open to the air completely.

Even hanging a white sheet or painters drop cloth around it should help.. that black tub is a heat magnet..I'd be worried about it warping from the direct sunlight.. august is a killer..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With the boards for shade, the water temp only got to 85 yesterday with an ambient air temperature of 95. It was 77 this morning.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you paint the areas that are exposed to the sun white? You may have to drain it down a few inches if those areas are normally below the water line.

these fans work wonders

p-25718-62832C-fish.jpg

Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products - Search Results for fans

Back
Top Bottom