How big a tank for goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seasick Sausage

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
The "Mrs" has a 54 litre fish tank with 2 black moors 1 lionhead and 1 shubunkin. They're all only about 3 inches long at the moment but I'm already concerned that the tank is too small, I've done a search on this site for her but can't seem to find any graph or info on how big a tank she will eventually need for these fish. So do any of you know the answer or post a link to some where that explains fish per litres. I have tropical but know the equation of fish per litres is not the same for goldfish. Thanks for any advice.

Based on what I have read here (mostly from JLK), one Goldfish needs a minimum of a 20g (75 litre), each additional Goldfish needs 10g (~38 litre) per fish. So, for 4 Goldfish you would need a minimum of a 40g (~152 litre) & that is minimum. If you want them to grow properly you will need to move them to the proper sized tank quickly otherwise you run the risk of stunting their growth. Also, tank size is dependent on type of goldfish. I am not a goldfish expert so I am re-iterating what I have read on this forum.

For the two black moors and the loin head you'd need at least a 40g. Probably bigger as the fish grow. Moors can reach a foot or more. For the shubukin you'll need a pond. They get far too big for tanks. If you wanted a tank that could fit all 4 fish then maybe a 125g might do it.

Edit: sorry you want litres. 40 g is approximately 150L. 125 g is around 500L.

Reactions: jlk
Thanks for all the info, appreciate it.
Strange how pet shops never tell you what size tank you will eventually need for healthy fish!

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it.
Strange how pet shops never tell you what size tank you will eventually need for healthy fish!

FYI: they don't tell you so they don't scare you away. ;) Just remember, goldfish are dirty fish so the bigger the space and water volume, the less frequent the maintainance. Goldfish in too small a tank = daily water changes and frequent filter cleanings. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom