How many fish in a pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisharefishy99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a pond that is 8ft long 3ft wide and 3ft deep. And I was wondering how many fish can it support? I've had this pond for a few years but I never really thought about how many fish it could support. I think it is 537 gallons if I am correct. Also I have a waterfall that is about 5ft tall that is a straight drop into the pond so aeration should not be a problem and also the pump powers the filter which is separate from the waterfall (It was a strange design but had to be done so the filter was not torn up by all that water passing through it). So my question is how many 5 inch or larger fish could it support? I am fine with water changes and everything, I just want to know how much it can support without the fish feeling too overcrowded. I also have four red bellied sliders. They don't seem to ever bother fish except when I drop feeders in lol

Green water Syndrome

I am having a problem with algea. I have 3 plecos in there i have no idead how to clean the water. You can see in there. But it,s not clear. What do I do.:confused:

538 gallons. what kind of fish do you plan on putting in there?

I have a bunch of comets in there already, but I wanted butterfly koi. I have one koi that's pretty ugly that's about 14 inches long. He survived a heat wave that knocked out my pump and killed about $300 worth of koi. Of course all the pretty koi were killed and the dull black one survived lol. So that made me pretty disappointed for a while and made me somewhat ignore my pond. I also wanted to know if I could get some kind of bottom feeder. Although I figured if anything goldfish were great bottom feeders. Also will red eared sliders be more likely to eat a butterfly koi because of their long fins?

I am having a problem with algea. I have 3 plecos in there i have no idead how to clean the water. You can see in there. But it,s not clear. What do I do.:confused:

If it is a pond with a filter just clean the filter and run it for like 5 hours then clean it again and run it for another 5 hours until it is finally gone. Also you can buy pond safe algae remover but all the dead algae will probably clog up your filter so make sure you clean it constantly. Also get a UV bulb if you don't have one or maybe you need to replace the one you have. I have my pond in direct sunlight and I have the same problem. Just keep on top of the filter cleanings and you should be fine. Along with some of that algae remover ;)

I was also curious how big of fish a 14 inch koi can eat. Because I know he eats my turtles feeder goldfish but I am afraid he is eating my comets too :(

Back
Top Bottom