How many orandas in a 60 litre?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fat_leroy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many lionhead orandas would I be able to house in a 60 litre cold water tank?

Thanks for any help

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I kept 3 large, 8+ inch Orando's in a 55g and really had to keep up on weekly or biweekly water changes due to the copious amounts of waste and ammonia they produce. You can keep more small ones BUT you have to lower their numbers as they grow. They grow a lot in the first couple of years so while it is tempting to overstock them when young it will come back to bite you once you size up.

That's only around 16 gallons, I personally wouldn't put any in there :/ you'll need a bigger tank to house orandas, especially multiple ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, thanks for the advice. Is there a smaller, less messy species that i would be able to keep in there? I already own the tank, but it is not in use, and i would like to get it running again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

you really need a pond to keep goldfish , they can get huge
try taking you dirty laundry put it in a small closet vand stand in ther for a few hours with the door closed , that what is like for gold fish in most tanks
and a gold fish bowl is like a dirty toilet

Well im glad i asked here because otherwise i would have gone through with it and the fish wouldnt have been happy. Thanks for the advice guys.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could have a nice little community setup, school of smaller tetras, some smaller cories for the bottom and a centerpiece fish. Post in the general section and you'll get so many ideas you'll head will spin lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are other species of coldwater fish such as different varieties of white cloud mountain minnows, zebra danio's, Buenos Aries and Bloodfin tetra's, platy's, and Rosy barbs. WCMM's would be an ideal choice for a smaller tank along with one of the small shrimp varieties that like cooler water temps.

I'm afraid no fancy or common goldfish could go in your 60litre long term. 20 Gallons is needed for one that's like a tank of 95litres. But White Cloud Minnows as Rivercat says would be ideal. They school so get a few. Say 4-5.

Back
Top Bottom