Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How to catch koi in a lake?

Hi-I’m new to aquarium advice and love the site. Anyways, my question involves how to catch koi. My house is on a huge piece of property which has a large lake. A few years ago, I released a few small koi into the lake. It turns out that they thrived and grew into 24 inch beauties. Now that I have built a large koi pond, I want to transfer the koi from the lake to the pond so that they are more visible. However, I have no idea how to catch them. They aren’t used to receiving pellet food, so I have to way to make them come up to me. Generally, the koi all stay in a cove that juts 50 feet into land and is about 70 feet wide. The water there is about 5 feet deep, and the koi almost always stay near the surface. So, besides using an ordinary fishnet, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can catch them? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 06-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is this pond you're talking about? It would have to be pretty big to accomodate 24 inch fish.
As far as catching goes.. I've never done, nor could I explain it, but you could get one of those nets you leave in there and drage it out later on or something. When I was on lake victoria in Uganda some local fisherman did that on the property we were staying at. They tied a Large net off and came back later in the evening and started dragging it in. That's really the only thing I can think of.

Old 06-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with millipede, dragging a large net sounds like the best idea.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
yeah have to people on each side with a really large net. put weights on the bottom and drag it along the lake until you reach eachother (if its round) and you probally will catch some crayfish frogs turtles etc. gl
Old 06-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #5

Well firstly my pond is over 2 thousand gallons (the one i'm moving the fish to), so no problems there. The net idea sounds probably but keep in mind that this is a real 1 acre lake. In the cove where the fish hang out there are lots of logs, rocks, ect. on the bottom to the net would probably get caught. Plus, I really would end up with about a million other turtles and frogs and fish if i did that-the lake is full to the brim with that stuff. Any other ideas?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Cast net

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #7

Thanks for bringing that up reefrunner! I looked into that extensively on the internet but it seems that they can only be used for fish as small as bait-i couldn't really figure out if that's really true or not. The thing is that a cast net would be absolutely perfect for what i need 2 do except I think that my koi would just slip right out once i pulled the net in. Does it close around the bottom once you cast it? Do you think it will work? Any advice or any more ideas would be greatly appreciated-thanks!
Old 06-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
i agree with kevin a cast net woudl work best get in a boat or the shore adn throw it at them, large koi are nto too terribly fast so i think that will work
Old 06-13-2004, 05:35 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

If it's oly 5 foot deep, I wouldn't try to real them in, I would throw it (possily add extra weights) and then go get them

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:39 PM   #10

I understand that-but do you know enough about cast nets to know if they would really catch a large koi? The place where they hang is absolutely perfect to to use a cast net around, and yes, the fish move very slowly. But, i don't really know exactly how a cast net works. Does anyone know if, after i cast the net and pull it in, it will still hold the koi? Any advice would be appreciated-Thanks!!

Tags
koi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com