How to clean our pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to help my parents clean their outdoor pond. There are no fish in the pond, the water has been removed, all leaves and debris have been removed but the bottom of the pond is filthy with muddy dirt and still a bit of water remains. There is no drain (preformed pond). I need to wash down the sides of the pond and get that mud out of the bottom but I have no idea how I would go about doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wet/Dry Shop Vac. Simple. Take the air filter out of the vac, and everytime it gets filled up, there should be a nozzle on the side to drain it down and start all over again.

Water! :-D Oddly enough, water is a better cleaner than would be a harmful chemical. Go to the dollar store, or a local store that carries some scrub brushes. If you have any plants in the pond, adding something like comet or 409 cleaning product would harm the plants, regardless of whether or not you have any fish. All you need is a good scrub brush, and a hose hooked up to a spicket. And then scrub away! And like I said, then you can use the shop vac to suck of the debris! It works great! However, for next yet, use a net starting in the fall! This will prevent all of those leaves from getting in there next year and starting all over again!

Also, there is a soy-based liner cleaner out there, but it really isnt much better than just water and some good ol' elbow grease.

And, Have a hose in ther with you when you are scrubbing, so you can rinse it freqently.

When I do this I leave the hose running, and leave the pump running in the lowest point in the pond, so I always have fresh water to rinse the sponge out with, and it all gets pumped out as fast as I put it in.

Power washers work too, but its hard to get some of the algea off.

we use a 5 hp power washer (i think it's 2500 psi) to get barnacles and algae off of my uncles boat with no problem. just get the strongest one that you can get your hands on.

Back
Top Bottom