Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How to get rid of herons

My brother lost 7 koi and comets to a hungry blue heron last weekend. I just hope he didn't lost the silver one that I like. Anyway, the pond dealer sold him a water spray fountain and a heron decoy. Will this work? The decoy idea sounds silly.

Any non-lethal ways to ward off herons besides ugly netting?

BTW, he has a dog, but the poor thing is old, stone deaf, and half blind - not much use except for receiving belly rubs.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The decoy might work as herons are very territorial. He could also look into a motion-triggered sprinkler, those are great at discouraging unwanted visitors to ponds. I personally don't have a pond, but my uncle does and he has the sprinkler system, which he says works well.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to imrandome1
Yeah i have the sprinkler system, it works well but i would not say its full proof, make sure you keep it clean though, its better in the long run. Personally i have a net as well, not nice to look at but i have soooo many herons around my area, i have too, and still i lost 1 2 years ago!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! I like the sprinkler idea. It would probably also keep the squirrels out of the flowerbeds too!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry to butt in so late, but having tried the motion activated sprinklers, I would say a couple of things. First of all, they are triggered by any motion, including you walking by, as well as waving plants such as reeds. More importantly for me, they need to be taken indoors when it gets cold, since they will freeze and die ... a bad deal since they are not cheap. For me that means that for more than one season I can not use them. I still rely on netting over the pond - not nice.

GM
Old 08-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like this post is coming alive again.

A few years ago I lost several fish (including my son's long-time pet shubunkin "Jim" ) to a heron. It was a VERY sad day. I covered the pond with vey ugly netting for the rest of the season. The following spring, I put a real-looking blue heron in the pond, and I have not lost a fish since.

Some say the herons get used to the decoy being in the same posiotion all the time, and then ignore it, but I have not found this to be the case. The only times I've moved my heron have been when I've been shifting plants around, and I haven't lost a fish in 5-6 years now, though we do have herons in our area.

I also cover about half of the surface in water hyacinth and water lettuce, which gives some hiding space.

Qtoffer, what did you and your brother go with in the end? What's your outcome so far?

Diane
Old 10-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I do not have a pond but a friend of mine recently got one. Woke up one morning only to see a huge blue heron fly out of her pond. Took 3 Koi with him. She went out to walmart and bought a life sized blue heron and put it at one of the corners, no more heron!

Just thought I would share my experience. Take it easy on me, I'm a newbie!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I agree...a good, life-sized heron decoy is the best way to go....I know a couple of dozen people here with decoys that have not had a heron visit in years.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com