I found 1 goldfish fry HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi after much spawning behaviour i noticed some eggs on my plants when i did a water change on friday. I have since found 1goldfish fry swimming around in the tank so i scooped him out and put him in about 6inched of water into a bowl the problem is i have nothing for him to eat. I have heard about feeding egg yolk do i boil the egg first? i am a complete beginner. I didnt plan on breeding goldfish but since i have male and female they will obviously do what comes naturally and since i have found this little guy it would be great if he survives. I have crushed up a fish pellet for him and given him some dried bloodworm as its like a fine powder when crushed. I am going to buy some eggs today. But any advice appeciated.

Emma

do you know how old he is? usually they wont eat for the first week. feeding them egg yolk works, and you have to boil the egg first, but, I suggest feeding him infusoria first. It is simple to make this, all you have to do is get a clear cup, add a chunk of potato, then fill the cup with tank water or a tiny-little bit of yeast. let it sit in a sunny window for a few days or until the water gets foamy, then add some to his tank. the water will be full of microscopic animals and yeasts. after a few days to a week of that, you can feed him powdered flake and egg yolk.

HI i read that you need to feed them once they become free swimming. He is about 4-5days old i would say. i noticed the eggs last Friday and i spotted him the next day swimming around in the main 42gallon tank on Sat just gone and i read they don't start free swimming till about 3days old. I have made an egg Yoke solution and put some of that in today. On the first day i put him into a bowl i crushed up a goldfish pellet into a powder for him. I have partially change the water in the bowl every day and used a spoon to scoop out as much uneaten food as poss. I did see him eat a little of the crushed pellet powder but not sure if he ate any of the egg yoke today. I'm in England there is no sun at the moment so i doubt i would have much luck with what you suggest. Should i buy a fry food from my local lfs. I have not seen any more fry in the main tank just this one little guy i saved. What are his chances of survival?

This is a picture of the little guy. I read people have thousands of fry but I have only seen this one little guy. It is my goldfish Hoggles first ever egg lay she is only nearly one years old.

Attachments

• IMG_20141006_205852.jpg
    IMG_20141006_205852.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 135
well a simple way to do this is to take goop from the filter media (detritus, excrement, algae, micro-organisms, ect.) and place it in his tank. as you know, goldfish are omnivorous and in the wild would naturally eat detritus and plants, so, (in my years of raising goldfish) I always found it easiest to just feed them the filter goop until they ate flake and worm. I think the reason you only found one was because it is a forty gallon tank......not so easy for the babies and eggs to be hidden from the cannibalistic parents. anyways, I think theres a 70-30% chance of the little guy surviving.

I mentioned the infusoria method because that is what I always did when I wanted to rear showcase goldies.

ok cool, I have two filters in the forty gallon an external canister and a little internal 2012 pick up, so should I just squeeze some stuff out of the sponge in the internal filter. Will it affect the frys water quality. I am finding it hard to take out the uneaten food cause its so fine and I don't have a gravel cleaner as I use large pebbles in the main tank and leave the bottom mostly bare. So no waste really gets stuck anywhere. 70/30 so that a good chance he may well survive :). I hope so I am keeping my eyes out for more fry in the big tank. I was never planning on breeding goldfish and this guy was just lucky I saw him. I plan on upgrading my main tank to a 300L soon so if this guy makes it, he will have a home with his parents.

do you know how old he is? usually they wont eat for the first week. .

Goldfish live off of their yolk sac for their first 24-48 hours of life. At this stage, they become free swimming (rather than stationary) as they need to eat constantly. If a goldfish fry is unable to eat within their first few days of existence, they will not survive an entire week.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

fIngers crossed he is eating i cant tell as he is sooo small. But he does go towards the area where i place the egg yoke solution. By looking at the picture how old do you think he is?

well a simple way to do this is to take goop from the filter media (detritus, excrement, algae, micro-organisms, ect.) and place it in his tank. as you know, goldfish are omnivorous and in the wild would naturally eat detritus and plants, so, (in my years of raising goldfish) I always found it easiest to just feed them the filter goop until they ate flake and worm. I think the reason you only found one was because it is a forty gallon tank......not so easy for the babies and eggs to be hidden from the cannibalistic parents. anyways, I think theres a 70-30% chance of the little guy surviving.

I mentioned the infusoria method because that is what I always did when I wanted to rear showcase goldies.

I did take some of the water from the filter and place a little in his bowl last night. I have also put some pebbles in his bowl from main tank case there are some mircoorganism on there that he can eat.

Goldfish live off of their yolk sac for their first 24-48 hours of life. At this stage, they become free swimming (rather than stationary) as they need to eat constantly. If a goldfish fry is unable to eat within their first few days of existence, they will not survive an entire week.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats strange, mine never ate until about a week to 5 days had passed....although they were in frigidly cold water (47-50 degrees). I used to breed koi, goldfish and shubunkin.

finally made it to LFS they didnt have any live baby brine shrip. But i did get instant baby brime shrimp from ocean nutrition. i also got liquifry. What shoupd i feed him first if you think he is already a week old!!

I think the liquifry would be best for the next week or so. after he gets a little bigger you should feed him the brine shrimp. when I bred my fish (as long as they werent prize fish babies) I would just put them in one of my older tanks that had old water and detritus in it from past fish, it had lots of plants and was really just an indoor pond. After about 3 months of living in it, I would fish them out and be able to treat them like minnows.

This is a little off topic but, I thought I responded to this because we have the same Picture!!!!

NatureFish
????

This is a little off topic but, I thought I responded to this because we have the same Picture!!!!

NatureFish
????

Hahaha Nice! Did you get yours from google as well? I googled "Most beautiful Betta" and found it. Its a wonderful pic isnt it? Im gonna replace it with a pic of my bullhead (As soon as I can actually catch him lol).

The little guy died, when I came home from work last night he was a gona. But I have all the right food now so if i find anymore i will be much more prepared next time. It was my calico fantails first egglay ive only had her a year and i think a lot of her eggs where infertile this time round. Hopefully she will lay better next time. Thanks for all the advice and tips

Back
Top Bottom