I have a pond in my backyard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felipe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pond in my backyard. It is in really bad condition and is basically is a breeding ground for mosquitos. With some elbow greese and the right tools, i could get it going into a pretty decent pond. I need to know what to clean it with and what supplies i might need. If anyone has any suggestions. i would appreciate it

Felipe, I'm at work right now, no time to answer, but I'll outline what you need to do later.

couple questions:
how big a pond?

what kind, liner, or plastic preformed pond?

What kind of filter/pumps you got?

Well, I still need the answers to the above questions, but here's a general overview, assuming no fish are in the pond.

1st, drain it. without knowing what kind of pump you have, cant say much more, maybe use the pump, maybe a syphon, maybe buckets, uggh.

Then get in there and remove all the waste and gunk from the bottom. ( this stuff is pretty yucky and smelly, but it makes great natural fertilizer for flower or veggie gardens). don't use anything sharp to get the crud up, you dont want to damage the liner or plastic. no metal tools at all. kid size plastic shovels work pretty well, just be careful.

Actually, without answers to the previous questions, I pretty much have to stop there. Get back to me on size, liner, pump, filter specs, and I can go much further.

Yes size is a big help. When you say pond I think of anything from a couple of feet to something I could drive a boat around in.

Back
Top Bottom